Old 23-10-2012, 06:40 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Imaging through a piggyback scope

I'm keen to make better use of my Titan mount. At the moment, it carries a newt with a full SX imaging train. I also have a BabyQ which I want to mount piggyback on the newt and image either with a QHY8 OSC or a separate Rig with filters etc.
But before I get too excited, I am wondering about how useful a rig like this will be for long-exposure imaging. Is this a recipe for field rotational or other problems?
I'd appreciate thoughts from those (many) more knowledgeable than I.

Peter
Old 23-10-2012, 06:52 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I've done it a few times Peter with imaging though both ED80 and WO72 SBS (5 min exposures) and autoguided piggyback. Not sure how it would go with a longer focal length scope or exposures though. The only thing I found was using the 20D it had such a heavy mirror slap that occasionally I'd see it in the exposure of the other camera. Using CCDs though that shouldn't be a prob.
Old 23-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Mighty_oz (Marcus)

I would hazard a guess that as long as u guided with the longer FL then the smaller would be ok with rotation etc, but being so close to each other probably not.

Marcus
Old 24-10-2012, 05:38 AM
gbeal

I tried the two up imaging idea a while back, when I had a pair of scopes, and a pair of cameras. It was darn hard work, I gave up, and went back to one at a time. I put it down to the males inability to multi-task. YMMV of course.
Gary