Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 12-07-2010, 04:54 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Planetary imaging with web cams - what's best

I've decided that I have neglected planetry and lunar imaging for too long and plan to correct that now that I have a scope worthy of the attempt. I've finished the installation of a 12.5 inch Dall-Kirkham uncorrected f/20 and have been playing with simple cams on it like a QHY5 (mono) and a ToUCam 900 series. The result are quite extraordinary and I'm seeing an effective x1000-1200 with it. Min-boggling really. Good seeing will be critical of course but assuming I can wait and bide my time for that, I'd be glad to have some help on the right software to do the job.

With the QHY5, the capture software that comes with it lacks any refinements so I'd appreciate any suggestions for a better piece of software for capture of whatever file format is best supported by other software for stacking etc.

Recommendations please!!!

Peter.
Old 13-07-2010, 05:22 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Peter
For capture software, you could try K3CCDTools or LuCam Recorder. They may give you the controls you need to set the parameters in the QHY5, but I don't have any experience using that camera for lunar/planetary imaging - though I'm sure it's been done successfully.

Recording as an AVI or as tifs/bmps is best, because they can be fed into Registax for stacking. Just make sure of the codec if you use AVI, and make sure that registax can open it too.

ie: do a test run first, so you don't waste good seeing on a failed run
Old 13-07-2010, 05:38 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

'fraid not Mike. Unless there have been some changes recently K3 won't talk to the QHY5 which is a real shame it wojuld be a great combo

Its a bit clunky to find your way around at first Peter, but you might try the Video capture feature of Virtual Dub

Or you could try FC Capture, Craterlet (Stark Labs) or G-Star 3.
Old 13-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Have you tried the QGVideo software for the QHY5 from Toms site?
There's a short thread on the qhy forums about it.