Old 01-03-2021, 09:11 PM
JA

Planewave Instruments

Hello Folks,

I happened upon this Planewave Instruments video in my travels today. It's a few years old so some may have already enjoyed it.

Best
JA

Old 06-03-2021, 09:48 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I enjoyed the video as it showed Planewave's Michigan facility as well the Rancho Dominguez factory, which I visited about 5 years ago and met with the team there.

Planewave make a great product which I came ever so close to pulling the trigger on (OK I backed the German's instead ) At the time of my visit the optical shop was "off-limits"...and it was interesting to note DiCicco didn't video the optical shop-floor either...Commercial secrets perhaps?

Planewave oddly do not offer Zerodur optics. I asked them about that at the time and to be fair they said it was possible, but the additional cost was eyewatering, hence to keep prices reasonable they only offer Fused Silica.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:00 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I believe planewave are all ex-celestron. So was ceravolo but he went on doing his own gig.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:23 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I believe planewave are all ex-celestron. So was ceravolo but he went on doing his own gig.
I have known Peter for about 20 years....but I don't recall him ever mentioning he worked for Celestron.

His knowledge of optical testing is impressive and has mentored the likes of Roland Christen. He may have consulted for Celestron...but worked for them? Maybe not.

Attached is a picture of his latest affliction (a work in progress, but I don't think he'd mind my posting it here
...oh...forgot to mention....note the APERTURE )
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (36p2.jpg)
195.7 KB149 views
Old 06-03-2021, 06:11 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post

I have known Peter for about 20 years....but I don't recall him ever mentioning he worked for Celestron.

His knowledge of optical testing is impressive and has mentored the likes of Roland Christen. He may have consulted for Celestron...but worked for them? Maybe not.

Attached is a picture of his latest affliction (a work in progress, but I don't think he'd mind my posting it here
...oh...forgot to mention....note the APERTURE )
Possibly. When I was talking to Robert Piekiel years ago a lot of the know how and skilled engineers and opticians from Celestron spread out to other companies. My understanding was some went to planewave. I'm talking about the mid 80s to late 90s time period. Their about page seems to confirm those guys had some ties to Celestron at some stage: https://planewave.com/about-us/. I know Ceravolo for a fact used to work on their SCT production line because there is a good article in Robert's book interviews "Celestron the early years" where he discussed how they aligned and figured the optics in their test tunnel.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:35 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
..........I know Ceravolo for a fact used to work on their SCT production line because there is a good article in Robert's book interviews "Celestron the early years" where he discussed how they aligned and figured the optics in their test tunnel.
Maybe.
If memory serves I met a fellow called Alphonso who did the final QC testing in "the tunnel" at Torrance in the 1990's.

I vaguely recall Ceravolo supplying a large flat for the testing the C14's or maybe it was the corrector catenary for the C11's...but as he is Canadian I really don't think he was on staff in Orange county.

I could be wrong..but the mystery is easily solved: I'll ask him!

Last edited by Peter Ward; 06-03-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:55 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I could be wrong..but the mystery is easily solved: I'll ask him!
Old 06-02-2024, 09:49 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hello Folks,

I happened upon this Planewave Instruments video in my travels today. It's a few years old so some may have already enjoyed it.

Best
JA

On reviewing this, it seems the original link is no longer functioning so instead try.....
Under the Hood with PlaneWave Instruments

Best
JA