Old 16-01-2015, 04:16 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Astronomik UHC clip in filter question

I am thinking about buying this filter, an Astronomik UHC filter for clip in the EOS 6 camera body. As it costs $200 I have a few questions on it.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...at-Kamera.html

I know the result will get a strong bluish hue and red Halpha will be shown as well. I want to use pictures made with this filter overlay over pictures of the same area without filter.
I already have done this with an Halpha filter.

1. It enforces the mirror staying popped up as long as the filter is installed, regardless of any camera setting. Will this damage the mirror popping mechanism ?
2. The spec says "can be used from f/4 onwards". Does it mean that it becomes useless in bright lenses at f/2.8 due to color errors (unless squeezed to f/4 or dimmer) ?
3. Does it work on wideangles such as the 24-105L at the 24 setting or does this induce discoloration at the edges ? And what about the Samyang 14 ultra wide angle ?

Do CN-ers have experience with these fullframe filters, or at least the APS-C filters which have the same filter characteristics ?
Old 17-01-2015, 10:05 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Any particular reason why you haven't gone with the CLS CCD? the UHC is made for visual use primarily http://www.astronomik.com/en/visual-...hc-filter.html

my understanding is that it won't work well under f4 (f3, f2) i'm not sure how bad it would become however. the filter doesn't have an IR cut so it may impact upon colour. the cls ccd does - i am also not sure why you would not just use the filtered version in entirety vs unfiltered... the concept is a bit different to introducing Ha to an image?

cheers

Russ

ps is your camera modified?