Old 10-05-2012, 12:31 AM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

Long exposure dark current noise - 5D III

We've all heard all about and measurabated DR, etc regarding the new gen FF cameras. I am a 5DII user with a lot of satisfying results. I am primarily a landscape/astro photographer that shoots long exposures. I was hoping for a higher MP 5DIII, but with the new AF and much better AEB capabilities of this new cam, it is tempting for me to upgrade. Just a matter of $$$$. Even the 2/3 stop RAW iso increase is pretty aweseome - that's like iso5000 compareable to iso3200 on the 5DII.
I don't care much for all the tests (even the short exposure dark frame ones pushed 4 stops) just measured with 1/50s shutter speeds. I do use stacking and dark frame subtraction on landscapes and IR terrestrial stuff, and find anything over 1 minute at iso 100, the 5D II has significant dark current noise. Therefore, I am interested in how the 5DIII is performs with say 1 to 5 minute exposures. There's not much around the net on this topic. Can anyone give me an insight to how the 5DIII handles long exposure dark current noise compared to the 5DII. If the news is good I just might crack it and get one. Thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

If I can get out of work this weekend, I'll prepare some examples.

H
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 AM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

Mate, that would be awesome! Good luck with getting some good astro shots too. Stay away from the coast though if you're in southern NSW or VIC. Strong southwesters and maybe cloud along the coast. Cheers
Old 03-06-2012, 02:13 PM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

Octane, any luck with astro work with the 5DIII yet? Hope the camera's being going well. Anyone else have long exposure light and dark RAW files from the 5DIII? How does in compare to the 5DII