Old 26-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Exfso

Orange Micro I-Bot Firewire Webcam

I have just connected this camera to my computer, and being firewire it is very much quicker than USB. All I need now is some hints on how to use this on my scope. I have an adapter for it to fit into the eyepiece end of the scope, so I gather it will pull in images. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers.

Peter
Old 26-02-2005, 02:31 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Have you taken the lens out?

Get k3ccd tools (version 1) to capture.. Can you post a screenshot of what capture settings you can set? (ie: shutter speed, frame rate, gain, etc)?

I'll answer more (or someone else will) later, sorry, I gotta run Gotta do the mowing
Old 26-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Exfso

Yep taken lens out and screwed in the adapter. It fits just like a normal eyepiece would on the scope. Might do a little experimentation tonight.

Thanks
Old 26-02-2005, 03:43 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Getting crisp focus is the first challenge. Start making a hartman mask, it's really easy and will help you focus on a star first, before you slew back to the planet/moon to capture.

Then it's capture settings.

Then it's post-processing.

Good luck can't wait to see how they turn out.
Old 26-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Exfso

I know there will be a fairly steep learning curve. A hartman mask for the Tak. Hmm must ponder on that one, the dew shield is only 180mm diam. Will have to work out what to use for that.
Thanks for the info so far. BTW it appears as though K3ccdTools needs to be registered after 30 days useage.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 26-02-2005, 08:01 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Use version 1, it's free. You still need to update the key for it every 60 days or something, but version 2 is the one that needs to be registered.
Old 26-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Exfso

Thanks Iceman, what is the difference with the two versions, I gather the V1 would be a somewhat cutback version.

Peter
Old 26-02-2005, 08:20 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

For what we use it for, they're exactly the same. Unless you plan to use for guiding and other things (deepspace stuff), there's no need to get the new version.