Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 20-07-2020, 05:22 PM
nsavage (Nick)

Seems my copy direct from Cloustan and Hall still has not shipped. Called up to see what was going on and apparently they are waiting for Australia Post to collect it so perhaps it will never come. Sounded like there was no chance of the retailer following it up either unfortunately. Lesson learnt, went direct to the retailer to help them save on fees but should have gone through Amazon and got the protection that provides.
Old 26-07-2020, 11:42 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Also on ebay if someone prefers that. Same seller, same price.
Old 27-07-2020, 04:01 PM
Huey (Michael)

Southern Gems

Never had any problems with Clouston & Hall. I ordered a book about 10 days ago and received it today in the mail.

Huey
Old 27-07-2020, 04:14 PM
nsavage (Nick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post
Never had any problems with Clouston & Hall. I ordered a book about 10 days ago and received it today in the mail.

Huey
My copy finally shipped several days after I posted. Now being held up by Australia post which doesn't help. That being said mine did not ship until 9 days after I ordered it.

Anyway it is on it;s way so hopefully it will be delivered soon.
Old 13-08-2020, 07:08 AM
scribbly (Phil)

I live near Canberra, so went to Clouston & Hall (Fyshwick warehouse) after calling ahead; they had plenty of copies yesterday (12-aug-20).

Thanks to those that revitalised this thread!! I am new to astronomy, and was searching for a good reference. For where I am, I find it really informative and interesting. Each object gets a good few pages.

In particular,the sketches and summaries of what different telescopes and magnitudes are likely to show (though with minimal experience he perhaps describes wheat I might see with more said experience).

The historical aspects of the early astronomers is also quite fascinating. what they used, when, and what they saw, and how they methodically documented these observations.
Old 13-08-2020, 04:26 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

[QUOTE=scribbly;1487157
In particular,the sketches and summaries of what different telescopes and magnitudes are likely to show (though with minimal experience he perhaps describes wheat I might see with more said experience).

The historical aspects of the early astronomers is also quite fascinating. what they used, when, and what they saw, and how they methodically documented these observations.[/QUOTE]

Hope you all enjoy the book and get plenty of info from its pages. I've had my copy for several years and find it a most informative reference manual. Take note of the preface, it puts the book into context with many of the objects "discovered" by James Dunlop and John Herschell.
Old 31-08-2020, 07:24 PM
xxup (Adrian)

Clouston & Hall via Amazon.com.au has the best price of $19.95 + $10 shipping.. Book depository is still selling it for $77.14 as of today.. I expect to see mine next week some time..