Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-07-2020, 02:52 PM
Paul Haese

Ic1274

This image is of IC1274 located in Sagittarius. Taken over the last month with 18.6 hours of data in LHaOIIIRGB. Image taken on AG12 (2) with STXL11002.

I have imaged this object several times over the years and been trying to produce that standout image. I think this image scale is getting close to what I was trying to achieve.

It is a stunning area with lots of wonderful colours in both the stars and the nebulosity.

Click here for the larger image.

One of my favourite areas of the sky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IC1274 LHaOIIIRGB 240 530 110 80 75 80.jpg)
204.1 KB184 views
Old 18-07-2020, 03:18 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

A beautiful, image, peaceful but exotic. The golden "sands" toward bottom left work wonders for the appeal of the natural colour.
Old 18-07-2020, 04:07 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

A very pretty image Peter that is fun to explore and browse around, and there certainly is a lot going on in this part of the sky
Old 18-07-2020, 04:12 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Some nice colour variation showing across the frame Paul, dark skies help with this, looks good, plenty of detail to checkout too. Versatile and powerful scopes these babies, huh?

Mike
Old 18-07-2020, 05:32 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Lovely image Paul! Slightly different to the run of the mill renditions out there but very nicely done indeed!

Just a question. Was exaggerating 11sgr deliberate artistic flare or was that just how it turned out? My eye was drawn to it immediately - a little distracting.
Old 18-07-2020, 07:24 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
A beautiful, image, peaceful but exotic. The golden "sands" toward bottom left work wonders for the appeal of the natural colour.
Thanks Mike, the plethora of stars in the area really add to this field too I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
A very pretty image Peter that is fun to explore and browse around, and there certainly is a lot going on in this part of the sky
Thanks Suavi, its nearly the area with the most. Just needs a galaxy and glob in the area and it would be the object with the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Some nice colour variation showing across the frame Paul, dark skies help with this, looks good, plenty of detail to checkout too. Versatile and powerful scopes these babies, huh?

Mike
Thanks Mike, yes I have grown to like both my AG's. It has taken some time to tame both and each has it's own little problems still but they are producing quality data now. Never thought I would go down the Newtonian path again this century but I am happy to have been wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Lovely image Paul! Slightly different to the run of the mill renditions out there but very nicely done indeed!

Just a question. Was exaggerating 11sgr deliberate artistic flare or was that just how it turned out? My eye was drawn to it immediately - a little distracting.
Thanks Marcus, I have toned it down a bit after your comments. I think that works better but it is a really bright star, it's going cause issues in any image. I was just ignoring it but now I cannot unsee it myself.
Old 18-07-2020, 07:42 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

Ic 1274

A lovely image Paul, very appealing.
Old 18-07-2020, 09:34 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I can totally understand why you find this field so beguiling.

Nicely captured, but a smidge more resolution would make it a cracker. As is, the colours are perfectly rendered.

Most excellent
Old 19-07-2020, 08:50 AM
vlazg (George)

A beautiful image and an awesome area, well captured. I have been fascinated with this area since i imaged it in 2017, so much to see.
Old 20-07-2020, 11:22 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Great fov and really nice colors. One of my fav areas too.
Old 20-07-2020, 11:26 AM
glend (Glen)

Great work as usual Paul. I look forward to your images. Nice Bok structures in there.
Old 20-07-2020, 05:23 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Nice colours and depth Paul, you've done quite well handling that bright star, there isn't much you can do without photoshopping it out
Old 20-07-2020, 09:57 PM
Paul Haese

Thanks guys for the comments. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlazg View Post
A beautiful image and an awesome area, well captured. I have been fascinated with this area since i imaged it in 2017, so much to see.
Thanks George. It really is a wonderful area with loads of interesting objects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Nice colours and depth Paul, you've done quite well handling that bright star, there isn't much you can do without photoshopping it out
Thanks Colin, it is a very bright star and does slightly detract but it's part of the scene and whilst needs some handling but should also appear as it really is; a very bright star.
Old 21-07-2020, 10:05 PM
gregbradley

A very appealing image Paul. I particularly like the sparkly nature of the golden stars you've gotten here. They really pop.

Greg.
Old 22-07-2020, 10:19 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A very appealing image Paul. I particularly like the sparkly nature of the golden stars you've gotten here. They really pop.

Greg.

Thanks Greg, I wanted to steer away from the temptation to create a red/magenta field. All the best images I have seen of this object and surrounding field appear to embrace the star colours and under play the hydrogen. The fact that there is lots of reflection nebulosity in the field is also an opportunity to show case that gas and dust. Jay Gabany's image of it is truly spectacular and I tried to go along that path. As Peter said some more resolution would have been good but I have to work with that I have got.
Old 22-07-2020, 01:49 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

I keep seeing the thumbnail out of the corner of my eye.

Wonderful, for all the reasons others have said. One to print up very big and put on the wall.

Mike
Old 22-07-2020, 08:59 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Interesting area, Paul, liking the colors, like rubies & gems among hanfulls of gold dust.
Striking stuff ..
Old 23-07-2020, 06:33 PM
John W (John Wilkinson)

Really nice colours Paul. Well done.
Regards, John W.
Old 23-07-2020, 06:51 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Excellent image and timely for me. I've got some data collected in the area as LRGB, but the colours are lack luster - those narrowbands you've added are the key I reckon.

Do you have the proportions of time on each filter?
Old 24-07-2020, 09:52 AM
Paul Haese

Thanks guys for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
I keep seeing the thumbnail out of the corner of my eye.

Wonderful, for all the reasons others have said. One to print up very big and put on the wall.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I think you might be right but I would need permission from the home office first. There is lots of "real" art work hanging on our walls here with only one shot of mine being considered in the mix. My image of M42 which won the DM's in 2014. I might have to win again next year with this image for it to make it to a wall hanging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Excellent image and timely for me. I've got some data collected in the area as LRGB, but the colours are lack luster - those narrowbands you've added are the key I reckon.

Do you have the proportions of time on each filter?
Actually it is the colour processing and data from each filter that makes the image.

The luminance is 240 minutes, Ha 530 minutes, OIII 110, 80 minutes of red and blue. Finally green is 75 minutes. Each subexposure has to be clear of effects of cloud or fog. No moon is also important too. This gives me the best chance to produce a half decent image. Personally I think this one is the best one I have done for a while now, but that is just my opinion.