Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2020, 05:26 PM
Imme (Jon)

David Malin Awards 2020

With entries closing for the 2020 David Malin Awards earlier in the week who’s willing to throw their hand up and admit to entering a picture?

I like a bit of healthy competition and banter so I’m happy to say I madly finished processing something I’ve been working on for the last couple months on Monday night after I was reminded of the Tuesday closing date. Was a real rush job getting it done though!

Is it a winning piece........well I couldn’t find the ‘Hack’ section on the entry form so those who have ambitions for the trophy haven’t got much to worry about....... but it was my best shot to date I think so thought what the hell.

It’s all a bit of fun at the end of the day.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:54 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I wanted to enter something but I didn't feel I had anything worth entering at the moment so that puts a bit of a damper on it
Old 03-07-2020, 06:09 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

I wasn't going to bother this year, but I decided I'd enter a couple of images at the last minute... a couple of nebulae no less. Not sure if my images will ever tickle Malin's fancy though, might be the last time I enter.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:39 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I wanted to enter something but I didn't feel I had anything worth entering at the moment so that puts a bit of a damper on it
You’ve had some great shots this year mate, pity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
I wasn't going to bother this year, but I decided I'd enter a couple of images at the last minute... a couple of nebulae no less. Not sure if my images will ever tickle Malin's fancy though, might be the last time I enter.
Well done, look forward to seeing what you have put up!
Old 03-07-2020, 08:53 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I had a bit of a mad scramble to put together a single image I was happy enough with to enter. If I get on the short list that will be a good outcome as far as I am concerned.

I am working on a 12 panel mosaic I was hoping to enter but the weather held me up too much.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:23 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I had a bit of a mad scramble to put together a single image I was happy enough with to enter. If I get on the short list that will be a good outcome as far as I am concerned.

I am working on a 12 panel mosaic I was hoping to enter but the weather held me up too much.
It kind of crept up didn’t it. I was talking to someone Friday night saying I had an image I was hoping to finish to enter this year.....he then rang over the weekend and said it closed Tuesday. For some reason I thought it was end of July closing date.
If you get shortlisted well done....significant recognition right there if you ask me.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:26 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Jon,
I commend you for entering and I’m sure you would be feeling a little uncertain by doing so however there must be a little sense of pride in your own work to even contemplate the idea so well done and I do wish you luck!
Your work is right up there with some of the best I recon and have shown significant improvement since you started. With your dark sky site and setup I think you have all the essentials to produce fine images so why the hell not have a dip at it.
Hats off to you mate.

PS I’ve been starved of imaging the last 12 months building my obsy so very itchy feet- can’t wait to get back into it.
All the best and to any fellow member who decides to enter the comp.
All worthy shots I’m sure....

Regards,
Anth
Old 04-07-2020, 09:25 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
Jon,
I commend you for entering and I’m sure you would be feeling a little uncertain by doing so however there must be a little sense of pride in your own work to even contemplate the idea so well done and I do wish you luck!
Your work is right up there with some of the best I recon and have shown significant improvement since you started. With your dark sky site and setup I think you have all the essentials to produce fine images so why the hell not have a dip at it.
Hats off to you mate.

PS I’ve been starved of imaging the last 12 months building my obsy so very itchy feet- can’t wait to get back into it.
All the best and to any fellow member who decides to enter the comp.
All worthy shots I’m sure....

Regards,
Anth
The only certainty is that the entry is in Anth......not expecting to win, would be a surprise to even get a mention. More of a why not kinda thing really! All a bit of fun and I guess it gives a reason for undertaking the hobby. I have many pics that sit on my computer hard drive never to be seen, I’d rather get them out there and if they are deemed worthy for display which in turn triggers something in someone somewhere sometime down the track then fantastic!

Love to see obs mate, throw some pics up! If you’re really struggling and need a night out under the stars you know where to find me......no snow this time I promise!
Old 04-07-2020, 01:09 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
The only certainty is that the entry is in Anth......not expecting to win, would be a surprise to even get a mention. More of a why not kinda thing really! All a bit of fun and I guess it gives a reason for undertaking the hobby. I have many pics that sit on my computer hard drive never to be seen, I’d rather get them out there and if they are deemed worthy for display which in turn triggers something in someone somewhere sometime down the track then fantastic!

Love to see obs mate, throw some pics up! If you’re really struggling and need a night out under the stars you know where to find me......no snow this time I promise!
Good luck, you have a 1-in-253 chance of winning it this year
Old 04-07-2020, 02:34 PM
blink138 (Pat)

"It’s all a bit of fun at the end of the day"
............... until someone loses an eye
oat
Old 17-07-2020, 11:00 PM
Imme (Jon)

Seems tomorrow is the awards ceremony.......good luck to all finalists.

I’m looking forward to seeing people’s work.
Old 18-07-2020, 05:59 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
Good luck, you have a 1-in-253 chance of winning it this year
That would be true if the winner was chosen at random

I didn't have any outstanding images but entered for the first time this year, for fun and to support promoting astronomy in our society.
Old 18-07-2020, 08:00 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Seems I sank without trace (Oh well) My entry below.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/yyf6bn/0/
Old 18-07-2020, 08:13 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:

That's a great image; well done!

You may not have vanished without a trace... they don't announce those who received a highly commended prior to the ceremony, so that's still a possibility.

I entered a couple of things again this year but didn't make the shortlist either.
Old 18-07-2020, 08:19 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Thanks, it is really the first image I have been happy enough with to enter in any sort of competition. I am at least not on the short list, put it that way. Hopefully I will be able to sit down for the zoom session this afternoon for the presentation, but I am not sure on that.
Old 20-07-2020, 02:37 PM
andyc (Andy)

I chose not to enter - David has rather rigid ideas as to what he likes for the Solar System (nearly always colourful Moon or Sun shots, that's of course his choice!); but rather more concerning for me is the awards' association with the anti-science News Corp. I'll think about whether to enter in subsequent years; perhaps if I were unlucky enough to get the News Corp award, I'd give it to a climate charity or something...

Edit - just seen the winning Solar System images for 2020, and yes, it's Moon all the way!
Old 20-07-2020, 02:44 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
That would be true if the winner was chosen at random

I didn't have any outstanding images but entered for the first time this year, for fun and to support promoting astronomy in our society.
Old 20-07-2020, 04:07 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

The wash-up after the Malin's is always interesting. I was amazed to get a gong for albeit a higher than your average resolution a monochrome lunar image, but from the hand full of entries I submitted, while I thought the framing and res wasn't too shabby, it was my "least required effort" entry to be sure.

But as for the competition, it's David Malin's call and if you don't like his take on AP, then don't enter. There have been some well known imagers who take cheap shots and deride both the judge and the format, but I'd say it's simply a case of good old Aussie tall poppy syndrome with a bowl of sour grapes.

I've had some success at CWAS from what I believe is revealing the unaltered beauty of nature, hidden in the night sky, rather than turning everything into Las Vegas neon lights. With over 50 HM/HC's, the innovation prize, over a dozen category wins and the "big one" a couple of times I suspect that ethos is also what David likes to see.

But you might want to consider the following if you enter next year: is the colour accurate? Do extensive research by examining a professional observatory images and glean what colour H-alpha should be, (and h-beta, and OIII etc.) If you make something that really should be red look purple it will be culled pretty quickly.

Is the relative brightness correct? Sure, use Photoshop curves the enhance the values, but breaking from reality will again not be looked upon kindly.

Is the subject matter engaging? i.e. would you cross the room for a closer look? If it is REALLY engaging you will be forgiven technical faults (poor tracking, noise, focus, clipping etc.) If it is a well known "showcase" object what are you revealing that has not been shown before? Extreme depth or extremely high resolution or showing subtle colour variations that have REAL physical processes behind them is challenging, but often brings a fresh perspective to 'oft imaged objects.

Push the envelope of your field size...spaning tens of degrees or just a few arc minutes, provided you can maintain high resolution can give breathtaking results.
Troy's winning wide field images and dare I say my own M42 ( not M42 again!) is testimony to that.

There is an ocean full of FL 1200mm deep-sky images out there....and yes Virginia...they mostly look the same.

Tracking, focus, exposure, noise and processing artefacts all need to be under control or absent. This is a national competition. Get the basics right! To quote Yoda: "Do or do not...there is no try". Stars are eggy or out of focus (crucifixion on the left) or they are not (freedom on the right).

Lastly, calibrate you monitor with a Spyder Pro or similar, almost every year David comments "If only this had been calibrated properly.."
Just my 2cents worth.

Last edited by Peter Ward; 20-07-2020 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 20-07-2020, 05:59 PM
gregbradley

Quote:

That's a lovely image Paul. What I like about it in particular is the sparkly nature of all those golden coloured stars. What could be better is a feeling its a tad cramped and a wider field of view would be nicer. Also the Ha colour has a touch of salmon which is not quite accurate. If you have added the Ha into the luminance channel that's what causes the salmon colour with Ha blends.

But really by anyone's standard its a top image.

Greg.
Old 20-07-2020, 06:00 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
The wash-up after the Malin's is always interesting. I was amazed to get a gong for albeit a higher than your average resolution a monochrome lunar image, but from the hand full of entries I submitted, while I thought the framing and res wasn't too shabby, it was my "least required effort" entry to be sure.

But as for the competition, it's David Malin's call and if you don't like his take on AP, then don't enter. There have been some well known imagers who take cheap shots and deride both the judge and the format, but I'd say it's simply a case of good old Aussie tall poppy syndrome with a bowl of sour grapes.

I've had some success at CWAS from what I believe is revealing the unaltered beauty of nature, hidden in the night sky, rather than turning everything into Las Vegas neon lights. With over 50 HM/HC's, the innovation prize, over a dozen category wins and the "big one" a couple of times I suspect that ethos is also what David likes to see.

But you might want to consider the following if you enter next year: is the colour accurate? Do extensive research by examining a professional observatory images and glean what colour H-alpha should be, (and h-beta, and OIII etc.) If you make something that really should be red look purple it will be culled pretty quickly.

Is the relative brightness correct? Sure, use Photoshop curves the enhance the values, but breaking from reality will again not be looked upon kindly.

Is the subject matter engaging? i.e. would you cross the room for a closer look? If it is REALLY engaging you will be forgiven technical faults (poor tracking, noise, focus, clipping etc.) If it is a well known "showcase" object what are you revealing that has not been shown before? Extreme depth or extremely high resolution or showing subtle colour variations that have REAL physical processes behind them is challenging, but often brings a fresh perspective to 'oft imaged objects.

Push the envelope of your field size...spaning tens of degrees or just a few arc minutes, provided you can maintain high resolution can give breathtaking results.
Troy's winning wide field images and dare I say my own M42 ( not M42 again!) is testimony to that.

There is an ocean full of FL 1200mm deep-sky images out there....and yes Virginia...the mostly look the same.

Tracking, focus, exposure, noise and processing artefacts all need to be under control or absent. This is a national competition. Get the basics right! To quote Yoda: "Do or do not...there is no try". Stars are eggy or out of focus (crucifixion on the left) or they are not (freedom on the right).

Lastly, calibrate you monitor with a Spyder Pro or similar, almost every year David comments "If only this had been calibrated properly.."
Just my 2cents worth.

Nice summary Peter. It does seem to be how it unfolds.

I only entered 2 in the widefield category. A Blue Horsehead and the LMC with the nebulae showing. Thank god for the CFF otherwise I don't think I would have anything that would be likely to get any sort of nod. The LMC got a Highly Commended which was nice to get for 2 years now and many in the past.

Greg.