Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 14-06-2020, 12:54 PM
garymck (Gary)

a really small observatory?

After dismantling my old observatory and selling everything off, I missed astro so much I'm starting again, but not with premium gear like I once had. I've bough a CPC925 and a wedge. Works beautifully for my needs/wants, but would now like to build a really small obs to put it in. The old obs position is currently being built over with a deck and pergola, so the new position has very limited space. I can build something a maximum of 1.5m wide externally, and perhaps 1.5-2.5m long.

I have on old pool pump shed that is 1.5 x 1.5m square, but the low side of it is only 1.2m high. I would have to raise it at least 500mm to make it useful, not sure if this is feasible. The scope needs to be at least 1.7m high to view over nearby restrictions.

Any suggestions to fit these limitations? Previous small builds?

TIA
Gary
Old 14-06-2020, 01:30 PM
glend (Glen)

You could build a timber plinth, or knee wall, to sit the pool pump shed on, raising it just enough to suit.
Old 15-06-2020, 07:24 AM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
You could build a timber plinth, or knee wall, to sit the pool pump shed on, raising it just enough to suit.
Thanks Glen, I've been thinking about whether it would be better to build from scratch or just raise the pump shed up. If I build from scratch, I can make it a bit bigger, maybe 2.2m x 1.5. Might make it a bit bit easier to use on the odd occasion for visual stuff.

Decisions, decisions,
cheers
Gary
Old 15-06-2020, 07:39 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymck View Post
Thanks Glen, I've been thinking about whether it would be better to build from scratch or just raise the pump shed up. If I build from scratch, I can make it a bit bigger, maybe 2.2m x 1.5. Might make it a bit bit easier to use on the odd occasion for visual stuff.

Decisions, decisions,
cheers
Gary
Bigger is always useful. Think about dimensioning it to give you swing room for your longest scope, or dream scope, and room for a chair and workstation of some sort. I believe most people building observatories end up thinking, " if i just had a little more room". Mine is a little larger than your suggested measurements (@ 2,4m x 1,8m internal floor size), and it works fine ( although my long refractors just clears the walls), but also if your using a tripod think about a pier as it takes much less room and you will not be tripping over it.

PS, the reason I picked ( 2,4 x 1,8) is because I can move it with a car trailer if I really need to do that. It sits on treated posts off the ground, so there is an air gap underneath. The concrete pier extends up from the cubic metre footing, through a hole in the floor.