Old 22-10-2012, 02:04 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Mallincam Jr or Gstar?

I've been reading up a bit on the latest in video astronomy with thoughts of replacing my 10 year old Mintron "GEM" surveillance camera that is slow and seething with hot pixels. It goes to 128x frame integration but doesn't appear to be as sensitive as today's offerings.

I have the Gstar software to go to 256x integration times. While I'd prefer to buy locally, the Gstar cameras don't seem to be as good as the Mallincam products. The Mallincam Jr is competitively priced though not sure how available they are. I don't mind buying new. Or are the latest Gstar cameras "nearly" as good?

This pic from last night, about 1000 frames at 128x sense up and AGC on max through an ED80 at F5.5 and Baader Semi-APO filter (since I don't have an IR block). And dark frame for comparison. I hate hot pixels. If I can get a new camera without m/any I'd be happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m42_Mintron.jpg)
40.8 KB75 views
Click for full-size image (hotpixels.jpg)
48.0 KB57 views
Old 23-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Poita (Peter)

The Mallincam Jr is a step backwards from the GSTAR EX in my experience, but the Mallincam Extreme is a big step up and worth it if 'live' astronomy is your thing.

They also have a new camera, the Mallicam Universe which has a much higher resolution sensor and USB interface, it might be worth a look.

_P
Old 23-10-2012, 12:56 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Hi Peter, I didn't want to spend much on one of these which is why I was thinking Jr. I can't justify the extra $ of the better models. I might take another look at the monochrome Gstar-EX2 in that case.

It's not for live viewing but actual imaging of small objects like distant comets where "big pretty pictures" are not the priority.
Old 23-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Poita (Peter)

You can borrow my GSTAR EX Mono if you like. That way you can see for yourself.
Old 23-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Poita (Peter)

What about cooling your existing camera?

Have you considered something else, like a Pt Grey Chameleon and stacking the images?
Old 23-10-2012, 03:35 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I did have a fan mounted on the Mintron at one time. It may have helped a little. I will look into the chameleon.

Thank you, but not a good idea for me to borrow anything at the present stage. My health is unstable and may require more hospital visits for lengths of time unknown.
Old 24-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Poita (Peter)

Sorry to hear that, the offer is still open though.