Old 30-12-2011, 12:56 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Canon FD to EOS adapter

Has anyone used one of these? Ebay is full of them but they're only around $25-$40 and mainly in China, so I'm a bit wary.

Since I've sold all my EF lenses I thought I might get a couple of FD primes for piggyback astro work and occasional daytime shots.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Morton
Old 30-12-2011, 01:15 PM
gbeal

Firstly Morton, don't be too worried about buying out of China, I have had plenty of transactions with Chinese sellers, on and off e bay and to be honest they put many other countries to shame. I bought an adaptor recently and the little pin that locks the lens on broke, possibly my fault, possibly a weak part. The seller sent me two new ones, at no cost. I'll dig his details up and if I find them I'll PM you.
Secondly, I think you are on a hiding to nothing here, as the distance from the rear surface to the film/chip is different, in an unfavorable way with the old/new Canon lenses. The older FD series as far as I know won't fit the EF system, without an optical element to "shift" slightly the focal point out.
Could be wrong, but Mr Bogan did some surgery and made some he had work, I'm sure he will pipe up if he reads this.
I am going through a similar exercise right now, trying to work out what lenses to buy/try, but I need Sony Alpha mount (and these then also fit the NEX5).
Good luck.
Gary
Old 30-12-2011, 01:21 PM
rainwatcher (Peter)

Hi, yes, I have bought one and am disappointed with the result. I have had some good stuff for normal daytime photography where you are not blowing the image up, when I do the colours appear washed out and takes a fair bit of enhancing. It also has quite severe chromatic aberration that is tricky to remove in the blown up images. For astro the results have been poor. Maybe its my lenses, I have a Takamura 200 auto zoom, and a Vivitar 75 - 300 manual zoom, not the best quality I suspect. The images are not bright and focusing is difficult. I also suspect that at $30 the corrector lens in the adapter is very poor quality, thus the wash out and chromatic ab. I am new to Digital work and image enhancement so I am going to keep trying.
A few pointers
Make sure you get the one with infinity focus.
You will have to adjust the position of the lens in the housing to get infinity focus, I nearly threw mine out in disgust before I remembered to try that.
The fixing to the camera is sloppy and initially difficult to find but does work.
For $30 its a cheap experiment.
Old 30-12-2011, 01:46 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I came across one made by Hama for sale in the US by B&H Photo, a reputable outfit. This one costs $160 so is presumably a 'proper' one, so maybe something to consider before giving up.
Old 30-12-2011, 02:20 PM
rainwatcher (Peter)

$160, ouch, not such a cheap experiment.I would epect the girl behind the counter to come show me how to use it for that price.
Old 30-12-2011, 02:45 PM
gbeal

You know me Mort, Scrooge to the end, but I'd do some Googling first. Establish that I am on the money and that any FD lens to EOS body adaptor WILL require an optical intervention.
Then make up your mind, but mine is already made up, if it has glass inside, forget it. Peter has sort of confirmed what I suspected, glass is not good for most imaging, let done the terrors of astro imaging.
I could be wrong though, the few wines I have has this arvo could be clouding my judgement.
Gary
Old 30-12-2011, 03:51 PM
bojan
amateur

In my opinion (and experience as well) there are much better ways to fit the FD lens to EOS camera.. those converters with optics are not a very good choice.
I decided to go in different direction.. see results below.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...50mm+f1.4+lens
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...s+modification
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ht=canon+100mm

Some photos taken with 50mm and 100mm FD lenses are on the link below: (careful, files are 10MB)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72914767@N03/?saved=1

Last edited by bojan; 30-12-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 30-12-2011, 04:29 PM
gbeal

There you go, apologies for spelling the name incorrectly.
Gary
Old 30-12-2011, 04:54 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Interesting stuff, Bojan. Way, way beyond my capabilities though. Think a thrifty fifty might be more my speed.

Morton
Old 30-12-2011, 05:06 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
There you go, apologies for spelling the name incorrectly.
Gary
No worries Gary... you are not the worst
First time I heard my name pronounced in Oz (20+ y ago) I was thinking "what a funny name... where that guy may be from?"... only to realise after couple of calls (CES - state employment agency then) that it was actually my own name ...
Old 30-12-2011, 05:10 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Interesting stuff, Bojan. Way, way beyond my capabilities though. Think a thrifty fifty might be more my speed.

Morton
Try M42 (Pentax) lenses with EOS adapter (without optics, $5 - $10 on ebay).. they are pretty good sometimes.
For example, TAIR 11A (Russian, for Zenit cameras) is really sharp in the centre (with a bit of coma in the corners.. you can get it on ebay for ~$100)