Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Cool So after the imaging ...

Not a bad night last night, seeing quite stable (3+) near zenith and transparency about mag 6 naked eye.
I spent last night imaging NGC 5128, (Hamburger) as soon as it cleared my eastern treeline. Pic for that now posted in Beginners Astropix section.
By the end of that session Saturn was visible above the trees to my East ..
Pulled the camera from the Lunt and put in a diag and took a look at Saturn with the 15mm GSO SV. Bright and quite distinct. This is not my best direction back over the CBD and it's LP.
10mm Plossl started to show a bit more detail and although it was moving a bit in the fov I made out some banding on the disk.
TMB 6mm Planetary, a bit more detail in both the planet and the ring, some variation in planet colouration. Now at 119 x mag.
2 x barlow, mag 238 x in the Lunt. I could make out the shadow of the ring but by now planet was jumping about seriously in the fov so little additional detail except for glimpses.
Can't wait for Saturn to swing more to my nor'western sky away from all the CBD LP and distortion. I will remount the 10" and possibly try some planetary avi to see how that works.
But it was nice to be able to get a reasonably prolonged view of the Planet and a few moons. I grabbed a few frames with the DSLR but way too small to be any good.
Nice night all round, everything worked mostly and got some good results.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Good to hear that you're getting a bit of visual observing in Brent!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I've always got the 80mm f5 on top aligned with whatever the Lunt is pointed at Paddy so between tha and the binos I get some eyeball time in for sure.
Satellites, meteors, aircraft and the other night a flock of four high flying geese or white swans maybe (?) have captured my attention.
Theres more to this 'visual' stuff than meets the eye.