Old 16-07-2012, 07:48 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Deep sky stacker problem

I have been stacking some sony nex 5 , arw converted to Tiff files. At first they stacked fine but now come out washed out and overexposed. The histogram is towards the right hand side whereas before was to the left.some semblence of normality with colour can be attained by inverting the curves tool (curves to the right and down)instead of up and to the left. this even happens when i retry pics that stacked fine before. Have tried reloading/downloading DSS but still the same.
any ideas philip
ps have never had problems with this software , the first pic below is one of the pics stacked ,the second is the result
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC01150.jpg)
17.1 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (omega.jpg)
36.8 KB49 views

Last edited by 5ash; 16-07-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 17-07-2012, 09:12 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Try downloading the version on this page.
It's DSS Beta 3.3.3 47
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DeepSkyStacker/
Old 17-07-2012, 02:15 PM
whzzz28 (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ash View Post
I have been stacking some sony nex 5 , arw converted to Tiff files. At first they stacked fine but now come out washed out and overexposed. The histogram is towards the right hand side whereas before was to the left.some semblence of normality with colour can be attained by inverting the curves tool (curves to the right and down)instead of up and to the left. this even happens when i retry pics that stacked fine before. Have tried reloading/downloading DSS but still the same.
any ideas philip
ps have never had problems with this software , the first pic below is one of the pics stacked ,the second is the result
Are you stacking with bias/darks etc?
If so, try stacking just lights and see if it still occurs.

Two other things: Once stacking is done, try resetting the color sliders (bottom left). There should be a reset button there somewhere.

And: If you have hot pixel detection on, try turning it off. There is another area in the settings for bad pixel detection as well, turn that off too. Finally, try a different combination method. So try median or sigma clipping etc.

I also got weird results with DSS when i was using it. Sometimes i found an entire color channel was way off, so the image just looked wrong.
Othertimes i got images with rediculous coloring and oversaturation. I stopped using bias files and the coloring fixed itself, and with the color channel issue i turned off hot pixel detection and the colors where then alinged. Sometimes i do all this and they still look terrible, so i go and try a different combination method and all is good.

DSS has given me a lot of issues, so i use PI's stacking which seems to work great, although it is much slower and bring your PC to its knee's.