Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 22-05-2012, 06:27 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Question Maxim, DSS and SXVR-M25C and the missing colour??

Ok, I'm just about at my whits end with this one. I've tried just about every conceivable setting in DSS but I am still struggling with getting colour with the SX and I'm hoping someone here might have some ideas.

Here are two shots taken with the M25C, captured with MaximDL and processed in DSS
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=110773
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=115291 As you can see there is colour there but here is a shot of Cent A (thumbnail)from last night about 4 hours of 15 min subs. No colour.

When looking at the histogram in DSS I noticed a grey 'mask' over the colour channels in the histogram, and all the channels are covered under this mask. I think this is the problem, but I don't know how to turn it off. I don't even really know if its a DSS problem and or if its a Maxim DL problem in how its saving the files.

Any info would be appreciated as I'm slowly going spare over this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Autosave001.jpg)
170.6 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (Untitled-1.jpg)
147.8 KB30 views
Old 22-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Paul,
I can't help you with DSS as I haven't used it in a long time now. I am wondering why you don't calibrate, stack and debayer in maxim.
It has the SX M25 in it's list of cameras under colour convert and here's a thread on some problems people have had, doing it in maxim which may help.
Old 22-05-2012, 11:51 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I've considered using maxim Robin, basically its laziness in learning another technique. If i can't sort it out this way I'll give it a go
Old 22-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Tell me about it Paul. I've avoided PI for that same reason
Old 22-05-2012, 12:52 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

If you're going to leap off the cliff, Paul, I reckon you should go for PI instead of Maxim
Old 22-05-2012, 02:34 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Paul, what are your RGB alignment options set to and your debayering settings for DSS?

I have my Stacking "results" tab set to Align RGB channels in final image, my "light" tab set to RGB Channels background calibration and my RAW/Fits DDP Settings set to Tick = Mono 16bit fits files, Camera = Qhy8, and Bayer matrix transform = AHD

But I am using a qhy10, but get nice colour with these settings.

Last edited by tlgerdes; 22-05-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 22-05-2012, 05:04 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I've promised myself no more astronomy purchases for at least until the wet season Rick. We're on a good thing with the weather atm and I want to stick with it. I actually got it to work this morning, I think I know what i did. lol.

Part of the prob Trevor is that in DSS there isn't a M25C bayer option. I tried using the Qhy option (even though it has the same chip) but that didn't work either.

I think I've finally worked out the bayer option but i also think that if I look at the image in Maxim when I take it and I do the convert colour, when the next image is downloaded the first one is closed, it maybe keeping the M25C x/y offset option and is throwing everything out. Normally if I open a image and do that it asks if I want to save changes. It doesn't ask when a new image comes down and is maybe saving that image with its offset.

I don't really know but at least I've got colour now....... for the time being

edit:Hope that makes sense now

Last edited by [1ponders]; 22-05-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 22-05-2012, 05:11 PM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

All of my images come out of the stacking process in DSS with little to no evident colour in them but it is all there in the data. I don't do any processing in DSS. I simply save the file (usually as a 16bit Tiff) and then open it up in Photoshop (any image editing program that enables you to adjust levels, curves, saturation, etc. will do). The image will look very dark when you first open it in PS. I then stretch the image like this great youtube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBQQ_Gs6YHM. The colour starts to pop right out.
Old 22-05-2012, 05:57 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hi Greg. Sounds much like the process I use. I do get colour, great colour on big bright red objects, but its the smaller fainter ones that even with a DSLR I'd be able to get colour with. If you have a look at the two links at the top, M42 and M83 came up a treat, but no such luck with others, The Antenna, NGC5128, M65/66, The Markarian Chain all came out in almost complete greyscale. The colour is hardly there. Most I've not posted for that reason.
Old 23-05-2012, 07:51 AM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
Paul, what are your RGB alignment options set to and your debayering settings for DSS?

I have my Stacking "results" tab set to Align RGB channels in final image, my "light" tab set to RGB Channels background calibration and my RAW/Fits DDP Settings set to Tick = Mono 16bit fits files, Camera = Qhy8, and Bayer matrix transform = AHD

But I am using a qhy10, but get nice colour with these settings.
I've always had my autosave files saved as 32 bit files. I've looked but can't find where to save the RAW/Fits DDP settings to 16 bit mono files. Help?
Old 23-05-2012, 03:44 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
I've always had my autosave files saved as 32 bit files. I've looked but can't find where to save the RAW/Fits DDP settings to 16 bit mono files. Help?
That part is in the bottom left corner, Options>Settings>Raw/Fits DDP Settings. Select FITS tab.

Nothing to do with what the output is, this is how it reads the input.

I too save output as 32Bit TIFF.
Old 23-05-2012, 04:39 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

btw Trevor my RGB settings in DSS atm are GRBG (missed that bit before )