Old 17-12-2009, 10:59 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

The Turtle

Just came in from a quick look at the stars with my daughter and I am pleased to anounce that the Pleiades are now known as the Turtle

I wish my eyes were a bit younger. Looking around she picked out a red looking star which I have identified using Stellarium as nPup. Just to the left of this she could see three stars. At first I didn't see them but on close inspection I could see only two. A quick look through the binos confirmed that there are three there.

So, how good are your eyes
The stars in question are HIP35363, HIP35226 & v2Pup
Old 18-12-2009, 10:02 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Michael,

Congratulations on "The Turtle" -- the human mind is wonderful at seeing order in almost random dots isn't it? Back when I was young, the outline of the Pleiades always reminded me of an old Chevy -- like the one in the attached pic. (That's not me in the pic; either of them)

The cluster you describe is almost certainly the Pi (as oppsed to "n" or "Eta") Puppis cluster also known as Collinder 135 -- a wide-spread, relatively nearby open cluster. Look carefully and I'm sure you'll find other fainter stars around them most of which are probably part of the cluster. Very nice binocular object with the leading star a bright K3 Ib orange supergiant.

Best,

Les D
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (39chevy.jpg)
126.1 KB8 views
Old 19-12-2009, 12:21 AM
michaellxv (Michael)

Hi Les,

I stand corrected, its Pi Pup. There certainly was many more stars to be seen through the binos. I didn't realise this was a cluster, I will have to have another look.