Old 07-09-2009, 07:57 AM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Question Photoshop Book Recommendations

Hi all, was browsing through Dymocks the other day looking for a good resource on Photoshop (CS4) and was bamboozled by the myriad choices available
Appreciate some recommendations of books that have helped you guys. Not necessarily just for astro (I know about the "Photoshop Astronomy" book) but some sort of good all rounder if there exists such a beast. Am a bit dubious of some of the Amazon reviews
cheers
Old 07-09-2009, 09:37 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Adam, I really recommend "The Photoshop CS4 book for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby. I have the CS2 version, it's awesome. PM me and I'll show you an example.

Dave
Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Adam,

A publisher I can thoroughly recommend is New Riders. I used to buy their books for LightWave, 3D Studio and Maya. I know that they also ventured into the Photoshop realm, too.

Also, before you blow a lot of money on a book, may I suggest using the in-built help system in Photoshop? I found it to be quite helpful whenever I've needed a reference.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 07-09-2009, 02:21 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Adam,

Can I also recommend a monthly magazine titled 'PhotoPlus'.

It's got plenty of great tips on how to use photoshop and comes with a cover DVD each month which is of great help for people who like to follow along with the practical demonstrations.

This month's disc is all about getting the most out of your RAW files. There's also a feature on DPP shortcuts, for those with Canon cameras/software. But you don't need a Canon to get plenty out of the mag.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:26 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Matt - I must keep an eye out for that magazine. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dave
Old 07-09-2009, 04:41 PM
matt
6000 post club member

No Worries, Dave.

I've been collecting the mag for about 18 months now and love it. I've even subscribed.

Some of it's fairly basic, designed to look after newbies, but there's also plenty in there for intermediate and advanced photographers/photoshop users.

Here's a link to give you an idea:

http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.u...re.asp?sid=549

Scroll down and click on the interactive sample edition for a better idea of what the mag's all about.

Cheers
Old 07-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Jone5y (Steve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
Adam, I really recommend "The Photoshop CS4 book for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby.
I have just purchased the CS4 version of this book and I have to agree wholeheartedly with with the sentiments above. Not only does it explain many how to's step by step, but also plenty of "when to's" to prompt some creative thought.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:54 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Checked out the interactive pages to that mag, and I like the style. Will have to grab a copy methinks.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
No Worries, Dave.

I've been collecting the mag for about 18 months now and love it. I've even subscribed.

Some of it's fairly basic, designed to look after newbies, but there's also plenty in there for intermediate and advanced photographers/photoshop users.

Here's a link to give you an idea:

http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.u...re.asp?sid=549

Scroll down and click on the interactive sample edition for a better idea of what the mag's all about.

Cheers
Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 PM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Super, thanks for the info guys, been very helpful.
Old 14-09-2009, 10:19 AM
matt
6000 post club member

Guys.

The July issue of PhotoPlus is now at newsagents and it's a cracker!

The focus is on taking stunning travel shots...

There's also tips for taking shots at airshows, how to transform beach shots...as well as the 'ultimate' guide to DPP...and RAW 'the' easy way'.

There's heaps more as well...heaps on using Photoshop, so get out there and have a look. Just $13.95 per month. I'm already a subscriber and can vouch for how good this mag is, especially for Canon users.

And in case you're wondering...it's a UK mag...hence the reason we're a little behind in terms of months. If you subscribe, though...you get ahead of the mail-out.
Old 14-09-2009, 12:00 PM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Thanks for the heads up Matt, will look out for that. Want to be prepared as much as possible for an upcoming road trip to South Aus.
Funny but frustrating anecdote - back in the film days, I was clicking merrily away in the Cradle Mountain area of Tas, beautiful day too...on changing the film to a new roll that evening I discovered the film had somehow ripped off the sprockets and only the first couple of frames were any good, everything else gone
Old 14-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Benny L (Ben)

Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers by Martin Evening

http://www.photoshopforphotographers...s4/index2.html

my bible, and probably the most comprehensive book on photoshop i've ever had!
Old 14-09-2009, 12:13 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacad01 View Post
Thanks for the heads up Matt, will look out for that. Want to be prepared as much as possible for an upcoming road trip to South Aus.
Funny but frustrating anecdote - back in the film days, I was clicking merrily away in the Cradle Mountain area of Tas, beautiful day too...on changing the film to a new roll that evening I discovered the film had somehow ripped off the sprockets and only the first couple of frames were any good, everything else gone
Thank God for digital...eh?!?!?!
Old 14-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I'm going to go against the grain for a second, here... (and, this is just my opinion, so, don't shoot me. )

One thing you might find if you end up buying books and magazines is that it may inhibit your artistic freedom and flexibility. The other is that it may become a bit of information overload and you'll get bogged down. The other negative is that you will see one way of how to do something, and end up using just that one way. Your images will end up looking like everyone else's.

I've never owned a book on Photoshop, and, have perhaps read a handful of tutorials (colour merging, split toning, and a couple of other esoterics).

The best way to learn is to simply dive into the deep end and learn to swim, because the best part about it all is that you cannot break anything. As a consequence, you'll define for yourself a unique style.

As mentioned before, the help menu in Photoshop is chock full of goodies that gives you all the grounding you need, in order to push yourself a little further each time you work on an image.

My 0.02 cents, GST included.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 14-09-2009, 12:41 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Photoshop is such a complex beastie, it's overwhelming. I suspect many new users will be like I found myself when I started - ready to throw it all away! That's why I recommend Scott's book - the guy alpha tests for Photoshop, and is one of the most respected authorities on it. The book is kept simple and fun and concentrates on "how to do this" sections, rather than just technical jargon.

Dave
Old 14-09-2009, 12:48 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
I'm going to go against the grain for a second, here... (and, this is just my opinion, so, don't shoot me. )

One thing you might find if you end up buying books and magazines is that it may inhibit your artistic freedom and flexibility. The other is that it may become a bit of information overload and you'll get bogged down. The other negative is that you will see one way of how to do something, and end up using just that one way. Your images will end up looking like everyone else's.

I've never owned a book on Photoshop, and, have perhaps read a handful of tutorials (colour merging, split toning, and a couple of other esoterics).

The best way to learn is to simply dive into the deep end and learn to swim, because the best part about it all is that you cannot break anything. As a consequence, you'll define for yourself a unique style.

As mentioned before, the help menu in Photoshop is chock full of goodies that gives you all the grounding you need, in order to push yourself a little further each time you work on an image.

My 0.02 cents, GST included.

Regards,
Humayun
I agree with you, to some extent H...but not everyone's like you

And the OP has requested ideas for books etc...so we're doing that.

Many people use books and mags as starting points, to get some of the technical issues resolved...and then off they go, creativity and 'artisitic freedom' intact ...unfettered and ablaze!!!!

It's horse for courses, I s'pose. But your comments are valid.
Old 14-09-2009, 01:43 PM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Humayun, certainly your opinion is valued and in most respects I agree with the RTFM principle, except that in my case I need a bit of extra help with FM (note: FM = functional manual, yes there are other ruder adjectives ) - this thread has been helpful in garnering info on books which have helped others in their PS experiences. (as an aside, when I purchased CS4, Adobe has included a freebie tutorial/video from a training mob http://www.lynda.com/ which I'll definitely be using)
In terms of artistic freedom, information overload, etc - yep, hopefully won't be an issue...