Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2019, 11:21 AM
Rob_K

PS - don't blame the OP for that, I'm a different Rob_K!
Old 07-12-2019, 03:19 PM
CeratodusDuck (George)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandevils67 View Post
Agreed re the space shuttle blasting off! And it was piggy backed up after much reworking and attention. However vertically landing rockets are amazing! To what end you ask? Need it be said? They lift off and land at their own will. They are reusable to about 80% whereas the shuttle is cumbersome and mostly wasted. It's tanks are a hundred million dollars!

The starships can land on mars or the moon and take off again without a lot of fuss and then land properly ... without an actual runway. His rockets are an amazing invention and took until now to perfect. It IS the way of the future.

Yes, Musk undercuts everyone with cargo and is why he is the chosen carrier. Two astronauts to be spaceX's first human cargo have already been chosen. It was supposed to be this year. Where it's at I do not know.

I do not go for all the gismo re how satellites are shot down, brought down, commandeered, redirected, lazered, microwaved etc etc. That can happen to any and all - but overall with 12,000 orbiting we are pretty safe if war (for eg) was to break out. Whoever blasts satellites into pieces will be responsible for ensuring humans cannot leave planet earth for hundreds of years due to the immense cloud of space junk that will create.

China caused much damage (space junk) a few years ago blasting one of their own satellites to pieces in orbit. But we can go on debating this forever! Time alone will tell what is and what isn't. Cheers
Millions are sick, starving, without water, but hey, they'll have fast internet.

USA's poverty level equates to almost the population of Australia in terms of sheer numbers, but hey, those folks will have fast internet.

Amateur science being dealt a sharp blow, but hey, they'll be able to complain about it with fast internet.

Musk wants to go to Mars, but hey, he'll have fast internet.

Seriously far greater concerns than a man racketeering to make a buck while he still can before humanity is no more. I say, good on old Elon Bloody Musk .Make a buck at any cost to humanity.

(written over slow internet because I couldn't give 2 rats tails about fast internet)
Old 07-12-2019, 03:55 PM
Xeteth (David)

I love the idea behind starlink and indeed providing a global internet service would have benefits - but at what cost?

Surely some of the squillions he has can be put into researching how to negate the impacts of developing and implementing these technologies. As far as I'm concerned there is far too little in terms of governance in what can be done in space, if we're not careful then it's going to be exploited and destroyed very quick.

Furthermore, despite Elon's grand plans to make it to Mars there's been very little consideration for the preservation of Mars itself. When NASA sends any sort of equipment to Mars they take great measures to ensure that the hardware is as sterile as possible, as not to contaminate the planet. I honestly can't see Elon taking similar measures or even considering any of this. If there is life on Mars it could potentially be destroyed through contamination of biological organisms from Earth riding along with Elon's great rocket.

On one hand I love that Elon has made space more accessible, I love that he is pushing the boundaries and attempting to explore the solar system, I love the idea behind Starlink. But none of these things are worth it if the costs are too great, which at this point they are.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:08 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeteth View Post
I love the idea behind starlink and indeed providing a global internet service would have benefits - but at what cost?

Surely some of the squillions he has can be put into researching how to negate the impacts of developing and implementing these technologies. As far as I'm concerned there is far too little in terms of governance in what can be done in space, if we're not careful then it's going to be exploited and destroyed very quick.

Furthermore, despite Elon's grand plans to make it to Mars there's been very little consideration for the preservation of Mars itself. When NASA sends any sort of equipment to Mars they take great measures to ensure that the hardware is as sterile as possible, as not to contaminate the planet. I honestly can't see Elon taking similar measures or even considering any of this. If there is life on Mars it could potentially be destroyed through contamination of biological organisms from Earth riding along with Elon's great rocket.

On one hand I love that Elon has made space more accessible, I love that he is pushing the boundaries and attempting to explore the solar system, I love the idea behind Starlink. But none of these things are worth it if the costs are too great, which at this point they are.

I competely agree !
The price is too big which applies to all technology. I like technology, but now it is used at a cost of destroying nature and climate.