Old 25-02-2005, 11:28 AM
tantaris
Fresh Blood

sony dsc-505v help needed

Hi,

I have a sony dsc-505v, could anyone suggest a suitable "adaptor" that I can use to attach this to my skywatcher telescope (1.25inch).

Has anyone used one of these cameras for astrophotography and to what result ?

Regards
Tantaris
Old 25-02-2005, 12:06 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Tantaris, to the forum!

How did you hear about us?

To answer your question, I assume that the lens of that beast is threaded for filters?

You can get the scopetronix adapter kit, which will enable you to hook the camera up to the eyepiece of your telescope, to take afocal shots.

A cheaper option, is to use the steadypix adapter which does effectively the same thing. I think the eyepiece of the scopetronix solution is more than half the cost.

An even cheaper option, is to use a camera tripod, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you really don't want to spend any money. I took all my afocal shots using a camera tripod.

What type of telescope do you have? What type of mount is it on?

I haven't used one of those cameras, but I have a Sony DSCP100 and my images taken using that camera can be found on my images page - though the latest lunar/planet shots are with a webcam.

Have you considered getting a webcam?

What do you want to take pictures of?

Thanks and good luck!
Old 25-02-2005, 06:46 PM
tantaris
Fresh Blood

Hi Mike,

I will check into the scopetronix adaptor kits as they look like a quality product.

I heard about the site through one of this months astronomy magzines, just cant remember which one it was as I read a couple on the same day.

I am fairly new to astronomy I got my 1st telescope about 4 months ago, a skywatcher 130mm reflector on an EQ2 mount.

Since getting this I have changed the stock eyepeices for Meade 32mm, 18 WA and 5mm, I also have a Meade electronic eyepeice.

I have webcam, a creative webcam go, but I have not tried it yet and I think it is a CMOS and not CCD so I am not sure how good it will be.

At this stage as I am very new I want to take as many pictures of as many things I can

I have taken a few photos of the moon using a sony dscp-32 held to the eyepeice.
one is here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dec2004002.jpg

Thanks for the help

Cheers
Jason
Old 25-02-2005, 07:57 PM
silvinator
Lady Post-a-holic

Howdy Jason! That's a really cool pic of the moon you got there. Very good for a handheld shot. Nice accesories you have too.
If you're good with construction, you could build your own camera adapter like Ving here has. (Aren't you a clever boy Vingster!)
Old 25-02-2005, 08:43 PM
tantaris
Fresh Blood

Thanks for the feedback on the pic

is there anywhere I can find out information on building my own ?
Old 25-02-2005, 09:09 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I've bought one of these a while ago and found it quite useful. Its a bit of fiddling to get everything lined up but once there it does a great job. Useful for just about any digital camera (and even small handycams) with a tripod thread on the bottom.

http://www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=1629
or here
http://www.metalplanet.us/index.php?access=F (I think they are cheaper)

Last edited by [1ponders]; 25-02-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 26-02-2005, 10:27 AM
tantaris
Fresh Blood

hi Paul

Checked these out they look like they they would be safer on the camera than the ones that thread on. I like the fact they support the whole body of the camera as well.
Old 26-02-2005, 10:51 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

The only minus I've found with them is that they use allen screws to tighten the joints up. Damn fiddly at night at times but once they're set up you just point and click. Might be able to get something like "Bobs Knobs" to do away with the allen screws.

I have two identical 15mm eyepieces, I try to set the distances and angles up with one eyepiece under a bit of light earlier in the evening, then use the other eyepiece to find and rough center the moon etc then swap eyepieces with just a minimum of jiggling to align. If the weathers decent tonight I'll try to take a few images of the moon and saturn to give you some idea of what it can do.