Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2019, 01:34 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Does such a mount exist

Amongst mounts I have this

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky...nt-tripod.html

It is superb with my ED72 and Ha Quark

Whilst I know it is not possible to do the same with a mount for Astronomy, the nearest I have to full automation is my Edge HD on Evolution mount.

Is there any mount that needs less setting up than even the Evo mount, with built in GPS, I would love the day I can just switch on and hit, say Moon or Jupiter or M83, as you can the solarquest, suitable for 70-80mm

Old 04-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Wavytone

Not quite, Jeremy, but probably not far off. One night some months back, a group of guys had a Celestron gadget which involved a camera taking images and software trying to figure out what part of the sky it was looking at, and automatically calibrating the mount. It seemed a bit flakey but eventually it did succeed, though it took so long that I had manually set up my AZEQ6 long before it had finished. The constant coffee-grinder noises it made became rapidly annoying as well.

But such a mount wont be cheap. The mount will need precision encoders, sensors to determine whether its level, GPS to determine location, date and time, and an electronic compass for north, plus a camera to find reference stars, and the software to make it all work.

The question is whether people like you want to pay for that on a small mount only suitable for small scopes, vs spending same for a bigger mount without the bells and whistles to take a much larger scope. In my case I'd opt for the latter.

Last edited by Wavytone; 04-09-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:03 AM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Synta does make adaption hardware under their Celestron brand for Celestron and Skywatcher scopes.
Their Celestron StarSense AutoAlign systems.
Celestron StarSense AutoAlign
StarSense AutoAlign For SkyWatcher
Though they don't, yet, have it available as an integral fixture of their SkyWatcher AZGTe and AZGTi mounts, only the SolarQuest HelioFind.
Having such auto align as an integral part of the AZGTe and AZGTi mounts would indeed be brilliant.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Wavytone

Thanks Jenni the one I saw was a Starsense.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:10 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The industry would grow revenue with a mount that any mug could plonk in their back yard and tell it to select an object or perhaps a "best for tonight tour" and then go inside and watch it on tv...And I am thinking to not even have to have the mount aligned South..or North. In fact why have to carry it out there? There should be a button on your remote which when pressed the whole mount and scope etc leaves the garage (the software having opened the garage door) and finds its own suitable spot , does it's align and it says so on the tv...And all this should be available at Aldi for around $500.

Alex
Old 04-09-2019, 12:41 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
The industry would grow revenue with a mount that any mug could plonk in their back yard and tell it to select an object or perhaps a "best for tonight tour" and then go inside and watch it on tv.
Yep, that would be a marketspace killer.
Folks would love it.

Quote:
And I am thinking to not even have to have the mount aligned South..or North. In fact why have to carry it out there? There should be a button on your remote which when pressed the whole mount and scope etc leaves the garage (the software having opened the garage door) and finds its own suitable spot , does it's align and it says so on the tv.
Considering how capable Roomba vacuum cleaners and Sphero drones are already in terms of navigation, this is actually achievable.
I know you made your post in sarcastic jest, Alex, but apart from the far too low price tag, ALL the hardware aspects of it are achievable NOW.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:09 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Jenifur
I have to be very subtle how I go about changing the world and find hiding ideas in jokes and such a convenient way to introduce such ideas and yet let others think they thought of them first.

My joy is to see my ideas undertaken by others which releases me of proof of concept issues not to mention wasting time and capital that can only produce more money which is so tiresome.

As you say it is so doable.

The price can be kept in the region that I suggest if they are only produced in black.

We could place a fork style mount and scope on a robust remote carpet cleaner and have the fork pivot on a hinge and the base rotate ..this will enable casual parking with no real need to have it waste time lining up North or South before stopping. The unit will need a mobile smart phone to have access to wifi, GPS, planaterium, camera, leveling apps etc and acceleration sensor...although my idea sounds original I will be surprised if a search on YouTube does not turn up a couple already running around on someone's lawn and probably cutting the lawn as well...and if there are none someone reading this will be struck with the realisation that if they build one and put it on YouTube they will enjoy millions of hits and the accompanying revenue...and Aldi will ask one of their suppliers to make a couple of million..in black...and I will just buy one when I go shopping.

Alex
Old 04-09-2019, 06:24 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Not quite, Jeremy, but probably not far off. One night some months back, a group of guys had a Celestron gadget which involved a camera taking images and software trying to figure out what part of the sky it was looking at, and automatically calibrating the mount. It seemed a bit flakey but eventually it did succeed, though it took so long that I had manually set up my AZEQ6 long before it had finished. The constant coffee-grinder noises it made became rapidly annoying as well.

But such a mount wont be cheap. The mount will need precision encoders, sensors to determine whether its level, GPS to determine location, date and time, and an electronic compass for north, plus a camera to find reference stars, and the software to make it all work.

The question is whether people like you want to pay for that on a small mount only suitable for small scopes, vs spending same for a bigger mount without the bells and whistles to take a much larger scope. In my case I'd opt for the latter.
I have that already on my Celestron I have YET to get the ********** to work, well it did........ once next time it just moved around for 20 minutes starting and stopping, called Star Sense

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (duhr.jpg)
195.7 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (P1050459.jpg)
112.9 KB38 views
Old 04-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
The industry would grow revenue with a mount that any mug could plonk in their back yard and tell it to select an object or perhaps a "best for tonight tour" and then go inside and watch it on tv...And I am thinking to not even have to have the mount aligned South..or North. In fact why have to carry it out there? There should be a button on your remote which when pressed the whole mount and scope etc leaves the garage (the software having opened the garage door) and finds its own suitable spot , does it's align and it says so on the tv...And all this should be available at Aldi for around $500.

Alex
As you know there are people like me with Autism, and mental problems who are not "mugs" as you say who would benefit from it. I assume you said what you have in "jest"
Old 05-09-2019, 07:13 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
As you know there are people like me with Autism, and mental problems who are not "mugs" as you say who would benefit from it. I assume you said what you have in "jest"
Some things I say are a little jesty ,at least that is my intention, but as to the term mugs I don't use it to run anyone down, I call myself a mug for example...someone doing their best with what they have with little influence on the world ..often with a wife and mortgage although I got rid of those years ago....but perhaps it is a dangerous generalisation as are most generalisations.

If running someone down I would probably say "drongo" or " ding bat" maybe "fool" .

But certainly such a mount, in black, would be handy for everyone. Even if one was entirely competent with managing mount set up and control you would be a fool not to appreciate the convenience and luxury of such a mount.
Alex
Old 05-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Some things I say are a little jesty ,at least that is my intention, but as to the term mugs I don't use it to run anyone down, I call myself a mug for example...someone doing their best with what they have with little influence on the world ..often with a wife and mortgage although I got rid of those years ago....but perhaps it is a dangerous generalisation as are most generalisations.

If running someone down I would probably say "drongo" or " ding bat" maybe "fool" .

But certainly such a mount, in black, would be handy for everyone. Even if one was entirely competent with managing mount set up and control you would be a fool not to appreciate the convenience and luxury of such a mount.
Alex
That's why I said "I assume you said what you have in "jest""

The thing is that I think you are a lot like me, I have a top of the range camera system as a sports photographer and yet !!!!! I chose to shoot 99% of my sports in MANUAL mode, from 40 years of learning and experience "I" chose the shutter speed and aperture NOt the camera and "know" hyper focal distances.

This shot for example was as always single shot, not many frames per second, I "know" the best place to focus, when to shoot and what aperture combined with shutter speed gives me the shot I need, as easy to me as changing gear.

The shot Rule of thirds, action, motion, and BMW now make the Mini

I think like you there is more enjoyment to be had "doing" than have a machine "do it" for you, photography, astronomy, etc.

It's just that when people like me "fail" it is nice to know we can participate in say........... astronomy by "pressing" a button rather than throwing the scope half way up the garden out of frustration
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dsc_0192.jpg)
106.5 KB36 views
Old 05-09-2019, 07:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Mate you don't fail.

Everything about you says success.. your boys, the artistry of your photos and your creativity.

You understand who you are and present yourself honestly to the world and that quality makes you somewhat outstanding as many folk hide their "self" from the world and often present as someone that they are not. You can be proud of your metered but high self esteem.

Only you know how hard life is for you...that's the way it is for everyone.

I become smug because I know where I started and my lack of priveledge, moving around , drawing bullies by presenting as an easy mark having to move from coming last in the class to coming first, not being popular with girls but marrying a super model look alike. And I don't care what people think about me as they have no idea how I never gave up trying to improve...not to impress others but for me.

And I am sure we are alike in many ways...all humans are alike if you look at the DNA...very little difference.

As to driving a mount..I still don't use goto..I just want it to track...only lately have I been using the hand controller to move the scope around... I find it so slow with motors ..but as I said I am starting to use it as intended...mainly cause the asiair unit needs me to star align...again I never bothered..too slow..I just want to capture..fast.

Great photo. Great car.
Alex
Old 05-09-2019, 07:33 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
mate you don't fail.

Everything about you says success.. Your boys, the artistry of your photos and your creativity.

You understand who you are and present yourself honestly to the world and that quality makes you somewhat outstanding as many folk hide their "self" from the world and often present as someone that they are not. You can be proud of your metered but high self esteem.

Only you know how hard life is for you...that's the way it is for everyone.

I become smug because i know where i started and my lack of priveledge, moving around , drawing bullies by presenting as an easy mark having to move from coming last in the class to coming first, not being popular with girls but marrying a super model look alike. And i don't care what people think about me as they have no idea how i never gave up trying to improve...not to impress others but for me.

And i am sure we are alike in many ways...all humans are alike if you look at the dna...very little difference.

As to driving a mount..i still don't use goto..i just want it to track...only lately have i been using the hand controller to move the scope around... I find it so slow with motors ..but as i said i am starting to use it as intended...mainly cause the asiair unit needs me to star align...again i never bothered..too slow..i just want to capture..fast.

Great photo. Great car.
Alex