Instrument: 4.5" f5 reflector
Conditions: Clear / light cloud
Seeing: 5/10
Transparency: 5/10

Ep's: 17mm LVW + 2 x Barlow
11mm TV + 2 x Barlow
5mm LVW

Object: Jupiter

Second obs report i filled out while observing the other night.

Just past full moon was high in the east. Seeing was a little touchy, although this is the best i have ever seen Jupiter. Adding to the excitement was the fact that I watched Io dissapear behind the planet. Callisto was not visible. Started with the 17mm + Barlow, views were pretty good, could see two distinct bands. Changed out the 17 for the 11mm, views were even better, could see two bands, and make out that one was wider than the other. During moments of better seeing could see darkenning towards the poles and make out another thin band alongside the thinner of two main bands. I have never been able to see this before, and generally get pretty bored very quickly with this object because of the lack of detail I could get out of it. I tried the 5mm but the seeing made it too soft and unable to focus crisply. Swapped back to the 11 and spent ages just watching it pop in and out of good seeing and grabbing what detail i could during these moments. I will definately be returning to see if next time i can see as much as this time.
Obs report and sketches attached. Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiterobs 19-07-08 1.jpg)
158.2 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (Jupiter 19-07-08 1.jpg)
135.2 KB48 views

Last edited by NQLD_Newby; 22-07-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Got booted half way through making report
Old 25-07-2008, 04:39 PM
你B
Its only a column of dust

Nice work, looks like what I get with my 10" under typical Melbourne seeing.
Old 25-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Rob_K

Nice work Rex! In our small scopes I think it pays to limit higher magnification viewing of Jupiter & Saturn to nights of better seeing (any scope I suppose!!), but you do run out of light and focus is just that much harder in iffy seeing. Look forward to more from you!

Cheers -
Old 25-07-2008, 04:47 PM
你B
Its only a column of dust

From my experience, I got satisfactory results up to 180x with my 4.5" in good seeing.....just a bit of advice you folks might find useful
Old 25-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Rob_K

Yep SAB, good seeing is the key . I've had mine up to 225x (8mm + 2x Barlow) at Snake Valley in pretty good seeing (and saw some great detail!), but at home I've never gone above 112x. With bad seeing, Jupiter's just a murky disc at any higher mag.

Cheers -
Old 25-07-2008, 05:32 PM
NQLD_Newby
Clear Skys and Open Road

Thanks Guys, hopefully will get a chance over this weekend to do some more. This was my first chance in ages to have a decent obs session. i had almost forgotten what a real session felt like. Thanks again.