Old 13-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Chillie (Henry)

Screen Protectors on LCD display of DSLR

Hi, Some of you may have read that I have bought a new DSLR camera.

I am wondering does anyone put Screen Protectors on LCD display of their DSLR camera to stop it getting scratched?

The camera is a Canon EOS 450D.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 13-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Henry

I fitted a screen protector on my Canon 40D that consists of a thin frame that surrounds the LCD and an opaque, flip-up cover. The flip up cover also helps shade the LCD in bright sunlight so you can easily check the histogram and see some detail in the replayed image too. I would definitely recommend them for the shading alone.

Mine looks like this model.

http://www.delkin.com/products/popupshades/mini/

Cheers

Dennis
Old 13-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Chillie (Henry)

Thanks Dennis. But I was thinking more like the screen protectors you put on mobile phone LCD displays.
Old 13-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Vanda (Ian)

Henry I would try a camera shop and put the question to them. I recently bought a Nikon D90 and it comes with a removable monitor screen protector - I leave it on all the time. My camera has 2 LCD screens the monitor and the control window.
Old 13-02-2010, 11:20 PM
unnamed soldier

hi henry,

I too have a 450D and I put a plastic screen protector on it like the one you are describing!! Go into any good camera shop and they will have them.. I got mine out of a black package (don't know the name).. they come in the 3inch size perfect for your use but I got the big ones as I also had a friend who wanted some!!

its been on since day one and is great.. keeps the screen pristine!!

josh

I just found this link to what you want I hope its ok to post on here http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4188.htm
Old 14-02-2010, 07:27 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I have too, no probs with mine.
Old 14-02-2010, 07:34 PM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

Henry, I had a spare thin film protector for my iPhone. Made a template, cut it out ( with a bit of feathering) stuck it on and its been on ever since.
Works perfect! ( Nikon D90)
Bartman
Old 15-02-2010, 03:16 AM
Chillie (Henry)

Thank you for your replies. If only I had read this thread earlier on Sunday, I would have had it on and using my camera now.

I have a spare generic screen protector (pack of 2) similar to an iPhone one but without the hole for the earpiece that I bought for my LG phone. I will have to check the size before I go up the street today incase I have to buy a bigger one.

I was waiting to hear your thoughts before applying the screen protector to the LCD display.

Once it's done, I can start the fun of learning how to use my new toy. I just hope I do a better job than I did with my phone.
Old 15-02-2010, 08:12 AM
solissydney (Ken)

Screen Protectors

Try Inca Screen Protectors.
I purchased a pack from a camera store for $9.95. You get 3 sheets of clear plastic stick-on sheets, 1 wet wipe and 1 dry wipe and a squeegee. Wonderful stuff.
Using this method to clean CMOS sensors is the way for me to go. See "CMOS Cleaning, or not"
Ken
Old 15-02-2010, 09:26 AM
leon

No mate not necessary if you treat the camera carefully, i have 4 DSLR's none have protectors and the screens are still like new.

Leon
Old 16-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Chillie (Henry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Henry

I fitted a screen protector on my Canon 40D that consists of a thin frame that surrounds the LCD and an opaque, flip-up cover. The flip up cover also helps shade the LCD in bright sunlight so you can easily check the histogram and see some detail in the replayed image too. I would definitely recommend them for the shading alone.

Mine looks like this model.

http://www.delkin.com/products/popupshades/mini/

Cheers

Dennis
How can you get your eye anywhere near the view finder with the cover flipped up?

I bought one of those locally. I did a "dry run" with it before I install it but couldn't get my eye anywhere near the view finder with the cover flipped up. It looks like it would be better on a compact camera.

I'm going to take mine back (if I can) and use a pre-cut 3" screen protector.

I do like the concept though.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Henry

The protector was purchased to act as a physical barrier to prevent my greasy left cheek smearing the rear 3” LCD when looking through the viewfinder, so it is always flipped down during shooting sessions.

I only flip it up when I want to look at the histogram and then flip it closed when I shoot again. It took a few attempts, but I am now very adept at closing the two side flaps with my thumb and 2nd finger whilst simultaneously flipping the top lid down with my index finger. However, if your shooting style requires you to frequently monitor the rear LCD, then the flip up flap is probably not the best solution.

I had previously tried a transparent overlay on my HP PDA and didn’t really like the effect; it looked like I was viewing the 640x480 display through a thin film of ground glass.

For me, the biggest spin off is being able to view the rear LCD in bright daylight as the top flap and side flaps do a great job at blocking the daylight. Having said that, I tend to use the replay more for reviewing the histogram rather than for a detailed analysis of the played back image.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 16-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Chillie (Henry)

Thank you for your detailed explanation Dennis. That is the type of info I was looking for.

The salesman said it would work better with Compact Cameras. I had no problem getting my money back and got a discount on a 3" screen protector (no cutting required).

I even got a discount on a tripod I bought today (list price $169.00. I paid $140.00).

I wish I had a spare $2,000 so I could buy some macro lens's with all the discounts they're offering me.