Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 PM
你B
Its only a column of dust

Joo, jooo, joooooooo

I took the 12" dob outside at 5pm to cool for what I hoped will be a productive session. By 6pm, the thing was already completely covered in dew.

Began observing at around 7pm, by now the dew was ridiculous, to the point where it isn't even dew anymore, but actual water droplets.

My first target - Eta Carina. Enjoyed it very much at 83x with an OIII filter. Also took a long look without the filter to get a load of the sensational starfields around here! Tried 208x aswell, it became apparent that the seeing was awful, like really awful. I could see some structure in the Homunculus Neb, including a tiny dot west of the main star and some structure in the eastern lobe. I noticed that the nebula itself appeared much more washed out this time. It was actually painful seeing those stars distorted into every possible shape known to man. Anyway, jsut did some sweeps of Eta Carina at 83x with the filter.

Transparency was poor, thanks to 100% humidity and obvious fog in the south, northwest and east. The dew was the first I've seen in a long time , if ever. I tried for M104 Sombrero Galaxy , looked very nice at 208x, dark lane obvious even under these trying conditions.

I attempted the Antenne (NGC4039) in Corvus but to my surprise I could barely see anything. I then noticed that the northwestern sky was glowing bright orange, indicating fog, and hence much reduced transparency. Guess that explains it.

It became apparent that the dew is jsut too much and the seeing was crap, so I packed up at 9:15pm. Felt like I was out there forever, and was unusual to pack up at this time, I suppose I'm used to much later starts and finishes.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:20 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Nice report.. Shame that dew prematurely ended your night!

Cant wait for some clear skies!!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 AM
你B

^^ I was'nt gonna carry on anyway, the seeing was just sickening. The scope's mirrors weren't actually fogged, but everything else was soaked. But then again it is Melbourne, so you'd expect every crap attribute of the climate to work against you.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:38 PM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Jeez, I thought it was going to be a stunning observation of Jooo-pitur. Sorry the conditions dampened your session. Couldn't believe how quickly the fog dropped last night - we were blanketed by 8pm.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

I had clear conditions up in the Dandenongs, packing up around 11pm. Moderate dew to contend with, but clear skies overhead while I was observing!

Drove back into the heaviest fog I've seen in Melbourne!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
I had clear conditions up in the Dandenongs, packing up around 11pm. Moderate dew to contend with, but clear skies overhead while I was observing!

Drove back into the heaviest fog I've seen in Melbourne!
Typical... I nearly did that last night, but figured if it had fogged out in Melbourne, it'd be pea soup in the Dandenongs!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:56 PM
你B

^^ you should've, because the inversion that happens in these setups would've made the Dandenongs LESS jooooooooooooo-eeyyyy and WARMER than the surrounding plains! Fog is very low lying, topping out at only 100-300m most of the time. Plus you could've enjoyed some real dark sky, as the city would've been below the fog!

just check the minimum temp obs here: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60900.shtml

mt dandenong had the warmest night, and if you click on the station name, you'll find it was the driest of all the places in melbourne aswell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Jeez, I thought it was going to be a stunning observation of Jooo-pitur. Sorry the conditions dampened your session. Couldn't believe how quickly the fog dropped last night - we were blanketed by 8pm.
lol not quite! I'll try again tonight, the fog burnt off quicky and it's drier than yesterday so hopefully less dew, better seeing!
Current humidities are still well over 60% though across Melb, 98% at phillip island! very cold at 11C there also, maybe the evil fog is still lingering down there, ready to pounce.... Bad sign....
Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by 你B View Post
^^ you should've, because the inversion that happens in these setups would've made the Dandenongs LESS jooooooooooooo-eeyyyy and WARMER than the surrounding plains! Fog is very low lying, topping out at only 100-300m most of the time. Plus you could've enjoyed some real dark sky, as the city would've been below the fog!
Probably - the last time I tried that, I was fogged out up in the hills, when it was clear at home.

Quote:
just check the minimum temp obs here: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60900.shtml
I'm very familiar with it - in fact whenever I read one of your sessions, I'm tempted to edit that page and add a line for Berwick, blacked out!
Old 02-06-2008, 04:34 PM
你B

On second thought, I think i'll stay inside tonight. I can already see cloud and smog/haze material on my southern horizon. Or should I risk it as the next week will feature (newly added to the forecast) normal, typical rain and cloud...
Yeah, i think I might bite the bullet.

Can't wait till summer.

also, everytime I drag the 12 incher outside, the seeing always ends up being crap. Why is that? why?

Last edited by 你B; 02-06-2008 at 04:50 PM.