Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 17-08-2018, 05:53 PM
ms (Michael)

Smile Is it possible to stargaze at the katoomba airfield?

Hi we are a couple from Sydney and we decided to go to the blue mnt for a stargazing session tonight. The weather looks promising and I'm just working on possible locations. I went the Hargraves Lookout last time and it was freezing. So my question is, is it possible to do it at the Katoomba Airfield on a Friday night? I've read posts that say it's one of best places in Sydney for stargazers but I can't find their contact number anywhere on the internet.

Many thanks
Old 17-08-2018, 06:09 PM
Wavytone

Hi Michael,

No, it is not open for stargazing.

It is private property. The previous resident passed away and since then there is no access for stargazing.

I will add that it never was, and won't be open to anyone who feels like rocking up on the night.

BTW the temperatures there are much the same as at Hargraves/Mt Blackheath which are better sites, as the airfield does have some visible light pollution from Katoomba (south) and Blackheath (west), whereas Mt Blackheath in particular is much darker, with the township to the east (under the light dome of Sydney).

Main point is to rug up properly with full thermals or ski gear if you have it, a knitted beanie, gloves and a decent jacket. A balaclava too, if you have one as the night-time winter temps can be -5, plus whatever chill factor from the wind (and its windy tonight).

Last edited by Wavytone; 17-08-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 17-08-2018, 07:01 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

DO NOT VISIT THE AIRFIELD UNANNOUNCED!

It is currently closed AND private property.

As Nick said, it was also never open to just anyone to rock up.

There is a website that says the Airfield is open to anyone, and that it still is. That wrong info was posted years ago, was never endorsed by the Airfield manager (past or current (I am acquainted with the the current manager)), and there is no way I've been able to find how to change it. It is giving many people a bum steer. That website really pissed off all of us who did use the Airfield and has caused a lot of grief, and looks like it still is.

Michael, thank you for asking here about this. I know of one website that is problematic. Where did you see the info you referred to?

Alex.
Old 17-08-2018, 07:12 PM
ms (Michael)

Hi Nick thanks for your reply. We've decided to go to my blackheath instead
Old 17-08-2018, 07:17 PM
ms (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
DO NOT VISIT THE AIRFIELD UNANNOUNCED!

It is currently closed AND private property.

As Nick said, it was also never open to just anyone to rock up.

There is a website that says the Airfield is open to anyone, and that it still is. That wrong info was posted years ago, was never endorsed by the Airfield manager (past or current (I am acquainted with the the current manager)), and there is no way I've been able to find how to change it. It is giving many people a bum steer. That website really pissed off all of us who did use the Airfield and has caused a lot of grief, and looks like it still is.

Michael, thank you for asking here about this. I know of one website that is problematic. Where did you see the info you referred to?

Alex.
Hi Alex thanks for the reminder. I found it on timeout website. The article was posted two years ago so I wouldn't blame the author if the information provided is not up-to-date.
I've been wondering why it is so hard to find the contact number of the airfield, even on yellow pages. Now that I know it is in private hands, I completely understand
Old 19-08-2018, 09:47 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Thanks for the info, Michael.

I've written to this mob, and I've let the Airfield manager know about this too.

Alex.
Old 23-08-2018, 10:02 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

I've just received a reply from the Timeout Sydney site. They have been most helpful and understanding and have removed Katoomba Airfield from their site. So some good news that misinformation won't be put out about access to the Airfield from that source.

Many thanks Timeout Sydney.

Alex.
Old 30-04-2020, 04:26 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)
Neo - as in Dr Neo Cortex

Such a pity. Decent dark sites, or at least "reasonable" dark sites are few and far between.

The lookouts around Blackheath are good, but I am always concerned about hoons in these areas.

Cheers,

Lance
Old 30-04-2020, 08:00 PM
burgo

Did some observing from Mt Blackheath a few years back when visiting the Blueys. I doubt you would have trouble with hoons as it's pretty remote and a fair drive from Blackheath town ( there was a family camping there when we visited). We setup near the hang gliding launch pad. I remember getting memorable views if Tuc47. As wavytone said, rug up as it can be very cold.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:26 AM
mordrax (Joe)

Sky has been pretty good the last few nights, I'm also looking at going out to Hargraves/Mt Blackheath.

I've never been there before, might have to get there during daylight to scout out the place, but if anyone has any specific coords to share with me via PM, that'd be most appreciated too.

Right now, the Hargraves lookout at the end of shipley rd is what I'm looking at. Any other good locations in Mt Blackheath?
Old 01-05-2020, 01:29 AM
mordrax (Joe)

Also.... if anyone else is thinking of going there in the next few weeks and would like to buddy up, that'd be great too. I have to admit, I've been out twice now to dark, deserted, silent parks in sydney and I'm not the bravest when hearing noises in the dark that I can't identify...
Old 01-05-2020, 08:03 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Hi all,

Katoomba Airfield is not and has never been a public access facility. It has always been PRIVATE PROPERTY, and as such requires permission to access it. Do not visit it unannounced or trespass on to it.

The only astronomy activities permitted on the Airfield are those with express permission to do so, such as the Blue Mountains Astronomical Club. Club activities there are currently suspended due to the present Covid-19 situation. And when activities had been happening & when they resume, only BMAstro members & their guests are permitted on to Katoomba Airfield. Unannounced visitors are not admitted.

As far as public access sites go in the Blue Mountains, these are very few, and many have also been closed of due to this summer's bush fire damage.

At the moment there is only Hargrave's Lookout, but it is affected by lights from the Hydro Majestic, and Mt Blackheath Lookout, which has limited telescope set-up space. The paragliding ramp is not suitable to set up on as it is on an incline.

CAUTION: both Hargrave's and Mt Blackheath have a lot of kangaroos active from sunset to sunrise! Even wombats. BE CAREFUL DRIVING ALONG THE WHOLE LENGTH OF THE ROADS LEADING TO BOTH SITES FROM BLACKHEATH RAIL STATION. The roads here are very twisty & narrow and paniced animals are very dangerous with cars.

Also, the Blue Mountains are VERY BLOODY COLD at night from autumn through to late spring. Dress like you are going to the snow or you will have a very poor time up there. Even in summer it can get cold. Do not underestimate this.

Alex.

Last edited by mental4astro; 01-05-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordrax View Post
Also.... if anyone else is thinking of going there in the next few weeks and would like to buddy up, that'd be great too. I have to admit, I've been out twice now to dark, deserted, silent parks in sydney and I'm not the bravest when hearing noises in the dark that I can't identify...
Gentlemen

I was under the impression that there is a government directive to avoid nonessential travel and travelling kms just for the sake of some dark skies , strikes me as not essential. Along with a lot of us, I'm missing being able to get to our club dark sky site which for me is an hours drive each way and am looking forward to when we are officially allowed to travel again.
As for the question about Katoomba Airfield, As far as I know, it is private property and has a locked gate and you need to be a member of the Blue Mountains Astro Soc. attending organised observing nights or an invited guest. Alex M. may chime in here with more info about the Airfield or you could make contact with him via a PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:13 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

So while I was typing my reply Alex has beaten me to the punch, so to speak. Sorry.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:42 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Thanks Jeff,

There are also several websites that allude to the Airfield being open to the public for astronomy. This information has always been wrong and is misleading. Some even down right irresponsible, joking that "you need to avoid low flying aircraft". While humours, it is a flippant remark that tells people that they are allowed onto the site.

KATOOMBA AIRFIELD IS PRIVATE PROPERTY AND IS NOT A PUBLIC ACCESS LOCATION.

THERE ARE NO ASTRONOMY OR STARGAZING ACTIVITIES PERMITTED AT KATOOMBA AIRFIELD THAT ARE NOT CONDUCTED BY REGISTERED GROUPS SUCH AS THE BLUE MOUNTAINS ASTRONOMICAL CLUB.

Sorry to insist on this, but the message needs to cut through the crap some websites push.