Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-08-2018, 03:21 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

This has turned into a ' gory ' thread ....

This is where they took the ' long ' vein from my right leg to do my Quadruple Bypass on my ' Ticker '
Yes ... those are 100 Stainless Steel staples ... which bloody hurt when they had to come out ... with no Anesthetic ( took about 30mins to do )

So be nice to me now ...!!

Col...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (3.jpg)
200.1 KB25 views
Old 15-08-2018, 04:33 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
I watched for 2.5 - 3 hours as the doctor worked his butt off. Absolutely amazing technology and skill to do this. I'm in awe of current medical technology and skill.
2.5-3 Hrs that is long..but I guess every case is different. I had three stents inserted in just over 30 minutes. Agreed..the skill of the Cardiologist, particularly when they opt for the radial (wrist) insertion, is incredible. I was trying to look across to the x-ray monitor to see where the catheter was. Nice bit of post op bruising you have there Kevin.
Old 15-08-2018, 04:51 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post

This is where they took the ' long ' vein from my right leg to do my Quadruple Bypass on my ' Ticker '
Yes ... those are 100 Stainless Steel staples ... which bloody hurt when they had to come out ... with no Anesthetic ( took about 30mins to do )

Col...
Gory as this thread has become I think it is an important discussion to have and I thank Kevin for initiating the thread and sharing his experience. One thing I learnt from my own experience and from the rehabilitation sessions that some people whom have undergone stenting or bypass didn't have symptoms or not the traditional symptoms. My event started with a pain down the right arm which revealed an irregular ECG..it snowballed from their. Lets face it..males are their worst enemy when it comes to health.
Old 15-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

All the best Kevin hope you're imaging again soon
Old 15-08-2018, 06:23 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post

Col...
Hey Col,

at risk of sounding dumb and dumber, - so if they remove the vein from your leg to re-use elsewhere, how does the leg continue without what was presumably a fairly important accessory?
Old 15-08-2018, 07:01 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I was wondering what happens to leg functionality too. I guess it compensates?

My problems have been there for a while. Started off as stable angina about 8 years ago. I would get mild chest pain at the start of running but it always stopped. It started happening more often and with less exertion. I had a stress bike test 2 years ago but it showed no problem. Earlier this year I found going up two flights of stairs gave mild chest pain so I went back to the GP. Next stress test showed ECG changes. Strangely I had no pain doing it. Next day massive angina attack that sent me to ER and the rest is history.

I am very fortunate not to have permanent heart damage. So if anyone reading this gets chest pain (it can happen in other places too like jaw or back) or shortness of breath (I never had that) please get it checked out. Your life may depend on it.
Old 15-08-2018, 07:31 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Hey Col,

at risk of sounding dumb and dumber, - so if they remove the vein from your leg to re-use elsewhere, how does the leg continue without what was presumably a fairly important accessory?
The Surgeon ' sewed ' up both ends where he cut the vein from.
The body is a marvelous piece of work ... my flow of blood in my right leg is still functioning with other veins still there.

It's a bit like a ' redundancy ' .....others take over when something has stopped working .... bit like a system failure .... and the backup takes over ...eg, Back up Generators at a hospital during a blackout.

People can still live with only 1 lung / 1 kidney ... etc

Col...