Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 02-08-2018, 06:52 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

2 fantastic (?) Australia Post events

Yes, I know these post-types are boring and numerous, and yes, I shouldn't have used that adjective, but...

First was a letter sent to QLD, registered post for a legal matter. Took precisely 37 days to go from Canberra to Brisbane. Kudos AusPost, well done chaps and chapettes

Second was an item exported from the USA on the 15th of June (JUNE, not July). Landed in Sydney 2 days later. Aus Post tracking decided to update it today at 0618 to being in Sydney again. Maybe I'll get it the third time around the world . More kudos.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:34 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Yes, I know these post-types are boring and numerous, and yes, I shouldn't have used that adjective, but...

First was a letter sent to QLD, registered post for a legal matter. Took precisely 37 days to go from Canberra to Brisbane. Kudos AusPost, well done chaps and chapettes

Second was an item exported from the USA on the 15th of June (JUNE, not July). Landed in Sydney 2 days later. Aus Post tracking decided to update it today at 0618 to being in Sydney again. Maybe I'll get it the third time around the world . More kudos.
..... you need to be an ' Aust Post Club Member ' to qualify for ' on time ' delivery

Last edited by FlashDrive; 03-08-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Exfso (Peter)

My water rates arrived yesterday with a pay by date tomorrow, I rang SA Water, they advised the rates were posted on 11 July, well done Aust Post another stuff-up. My mate who lives around the corner had exactly the same scenario. WTF
Old 03-08-2018, 01:15 PM
leon

Bugger I just sent two parcels to two different people on IIS, maybe they might get lucky and get it by November.

Leon
Old 03-08-2018, 03:41 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Checked the status on my ex-USA parcel again. Apparently it entered Sydney AGAIN , 1 day after it last entered - NO JOKE!!! I wonder if Customs is playing hockey with it... I might get it by September - 2.5 months after I was supposed to get it.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:02 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Checked the status on my ex-USA parcel again. Apparently it entered Sydney AGAIN , 1 day after it last entered - NO JOKE!!! I wonder if Customs is playing hockey with it... I might get it by September - 2.5 months after I was supposed to get it.
The security dogs are still ' sniffing ' your parcel ... they are unsure what to make of it ... ...indefinite hold up now

Last edited by FlashDrive; 03-08-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:43 PM
Kunama

The Australia Post motto:

"It won't happen overnight but it will happen,..... maybe"

The postie arrived on his bike yesterday with an Express Parcel for me from Adelaide,
I watched as he tried to push a 50mm thick package through a 20mm slot in my letter box, after a minute of trying he put it into his mailbag and started to ride away..... lucky for me I was out on the nature strip 10metres away and stopped him ..... lazy sod.... never even tried to get off his RRRs to go to the front door...
Old 03-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Paul Haese

I have been subject to something similar in the last few days. Precise parts sent an adapter last Friday. It apparently landed in Sydney and left on Wednesday for Adelaide. Not sure why it did not show up today but I am willing to bet the stoners that are employed by Australia's postal provider that makes snail racing appear interesting, are behind this.

And; you know tonight it is clear and won't be clear again for another week because a massive low is coming in again. Australia Stop is making it hard to complete commissioning on the AG12.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:08 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
The Australia Post motto:

"It won't happen overnight but it will happen,..... maybe"

The postie arrived on his bike yesterday with an Express Parcel for me from Adelaide,
I watched as he tried to push a 50mm thick package through a 20mm slot in my letter box, after a minute of trying he put it into his mailbag and started to ride away..... lucky for me I was out on the nature strip 10metres away and stopped him ..... lazy sod.... never even tried to get off his RRRs to go to the front door...
Hey Matt, might wanna make that mailbox 25mm and give the poor bloke half a chance next time.

The classic is when our postie bends the 'do not bend' envolopes into the letter box.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Paul Haese

Still waiting on my parcel. Arrived at Kingford Smith last Wednesday. Not been scanned anywhere since. I think scanning should occur everywhere. If it goes of the plane, it should be scanned into the storage facility, on toward customs scanned again. I have no idea where this thing is at present. I suspect that it is being held in customs because GST would need to be paid on it, secondly I'll bet that customs is now so swamped by the new legislation that it will be a month or more before I hear about paying the GST. In the meantime I cannot proceed any further on commissioning my scope. This once upon a time would have been in my hands by now. Well done whomever is at fault. You win the prized w....R award.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:41 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

My boomerang finally arrived...
Old 07-08-2018, 09:01 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

See if you can get a customs referance no out of aus post by phone using its inbound tracking no Paul , with that a broker should be able to get your package on its way quickly .
Old 08-08-2018, 11:13 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Good times here too... a brand new $3500 PC has been "delivered" yesterday by AP, to the university department where I work. "Signed" by a person who was apparently not even at work at the time. An AP investigation has begun, with a reply timeframe of 5 days...

Nope/10...
It's gone.

EDIT: Apparently is WAS collected by the person who signed for it. But he didn't remember... read: didn't care enough to try? As it was more than 10kg, they had nobody present who could lift it. So it sat in the corner, forgotten about. Please don't ask me to explain that one - it's beyond me too...

My rant therefore, bears no relevance to AustPost.. should I delete it now?

Last edited by AndyG; 08-08-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Mental gymnastics.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:33 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Well done whomever is at fault. You win the prized w....R award.
That would be Gerry Harvey...

EDIT: @LewisM... I think the apt word here might be fantastical! OR ridonculous!

I'm getting knick-knack stuff from China inside a week or so... maybe that is where their attention is.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:33 PM
rrussell1962

Earlier today I delivered an Australia Post express package to a house in the next street and I don't work for Australia Post.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:03 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell1962 View Post
Earlier today I delivered an Australia Post express package to a house in the next street and I don't work for Australia Post.

I get that. My Wife and the identically numbered house on the next street look like regular pen friends... Often swapping mail.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Paul Haese

I had a conversation today with a person who works at AP. Apparently it can take up to 15 working days for a parcel to come from the US, to which I said Reeeeallly. I said it takes 3 days to get here and the rest is for the snails pace that AP sets as a standard. She then tried to tell me that the tracking by USPS was wrong. Apparently it has not left Miami yet, despite USPS saying that it left Los Angeles on the 30th of last month. I then asked her why the tracking has not been updated since the last entry, to which she went back to the first line. It can take 15 working days. I doubt it will make it here now and I will tell Ashley to make me a new adapter in a few days to replace the one that has been lost.
Old 15-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Kunama

Some good news stories about AusPost:

I recently posted a couple of Tak TSA120s, one to Queensland, one to Northern NSW....
Price wise Australia post came to about half of the cost of Pack&Send's Depot2Depot... even with insurance of $5K, the AusPost cost was much less than any of the couriers.
One scope departed Canberra on Tuesday and arrived in perfect condition in Queensland in less that 48hrs. I thought this was excellent !!

The second TSA120 was posted in Canberra on Monday and arrived in Northern NSW this morning, again in less that 48hrs and in perfect condition..

A great result, saving each buyer about $150 in freight/insurance ....

I did however use up a couple of kilometres of bubble wrap, the only padding that actually absorbs impacts without transmitting them to the fragile contents...
Old 15-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Exfso (Peter)

That bubble wrap is good stuff, I go through big mobs when I pack my lightboxes.
Old 15-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Paul Haese

Still waiting for my adapter. Apparently it landed in Sydney on Monday. And; interestingly again nothing has transpired since. Neither USPS or AustPost say where it is located. It just said it was logged into a facility at 8:38pm. It did say the same on the 1st of August too, but that was USPS saying that then. I have decided that both services are equally garbage. Next time I am going to insist on some other service. I won't use either again. Only another 5 days until I can lodge an official complaint with AustPost so they will finally start an investigation. That will make it 3 weeks since shipment.