Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 15-08-2018, 03:13 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

Device Manager - Code 12

Hi All

I have an issue with the COM port on my laptop. I have been in touch with the manufacturer, and so far their suggestions have not fixed the problem.

I am wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue and might be able to suggest a possible fix.

The Laptop details -
MSI GL62 7RD
8GB RAM
Windows 10
1x SSD and 1x 2.5 Laptop HDD

The problem is I have a Code 12 message in Device Manager saying there are not enough free resources for the device to use. Screen shot attached.

The advice from MSI has been to:
Upgrade the BIOS
Upgrade the EC Firmware
Remove and Reinstall all the Drivers
Ensure all Windows Updates have been applied
Remove and Reinstall all my Apps.

Except for the last one, all the others have been complete. I have removed some of the latest apps I have installed, but not all.

I have also gone through all the other devices looking for a conflict, but none are reported.

The laptop is less than 12 months old, and I only use it for my astro work. I run APCC (Astro Physics Control Centre), ASCOM, Cartes de Ciel, SGP. Thats it.

Other than purchasing a new laptop, any suggestions?

Thanks
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DeviceMgr2a.jpg)
145.7 KB18 views
Old 15-08-2018, 04:18 PM
Exfso (Peter)

If you Google this error there are loads of results referring to this particular code. Not sure if you are a member, but it costs nothing, try Bleeping computer forum, some pretty smart dudes there.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

Last edited by Exfso; 15-08-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 23-08-2018, 08:06 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

My instinct says you've either got or had a lot of usb devices on this machine. What I understand is every time you plug in a usb device its port (which is a Serial port and so allocated a COMmunications port number and resources to operate), drivers get loaded etc and assigned. These all stay in effect and loaded by the OS every reboot whether the device is attached or not so you can just "plug and play". It does this for every single usb device and repeats for ever single usb port too. On a fresh machine you can plug in a thumbdrive and see the notice in bottom right saying installing drivers etc. Now eject device, remove it and reboot. Now plug it in again to a different usb port and the same message comes up again as its allocating resouces for that new device/port combination. But if after the reboot you plugged into the same port again you dont get the same messages and the device is ready to use sooner. The OS is loading/using these resources every reboot regardless if you have the device plugged in or not. There are a limited number of usb/coms port numbers available. So you may have reached the limit with swapping devices around. These things dont clean up on their own, its like web browsers prefetching pages linked from the page you are on to give you an apparently faster browsing experience. Windows is preloading stuff because it knows you used them before so if you use them again itll be faster, besides everyone has heaps of ram to spare, right? and it makes it seem like their new os is awesomely fast, right?

First you should carefully go through and uninstaller software related to old hardware you no longer have or use. It wont clean up everything but should help. Second you could one by one go through device manager and uninstall the driver of each usb device, unplug, reboot, plug back in and reinstall driver. This can help kill off unecessary resource ties lingering around. Likewise something like EasyDrivers can scan your drivers and update with better versions which may mange resources better. Windows updates dont cover you for this sort of thing btw. Ultimately a free OS reinstall (NOT repair) and start again will give you minimal resource allocations. and dont keep plugging in lots of stuff in different ports.
Old 23-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I found a solution via a Windows 10 chat site; It recommended a software tool which I downloaded (it's free) & ran. Cleared all my old comm ports of devices that were not connected.

The assignment & subsequent non removal of comm ports seems to be an ongoing niggle point with Win 10 users & for good reason.

Try the program, see if it works for you. I have had no adverse effects, worked as described.

Name of the program you want is:

COM Name Arbiter Setter V0.7
- gives control over reserved COM port numbers

URL is:

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html

Scroll down the page the program you want is a bit over halfway down the page. There are other tools on this page that may or may not be of use to you. Can't vouch for any of them as I haven't used them. Description of what each one does is on the page.

Hope this helps