Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 22-02-2021, 08:50 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

RCW 42 - A Nebula for George Mallory

The late President John F. Kennedy was famously quoted - "Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there." Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it..."

Now I'm not saying this image will ever be famous, but this tiny nebula RCW 42 is there- so inspired by Mallory, I needed to photograph it!

RCW is an abbreviation for Rodgers, Campbell and Whiteoak, who generated a catalogue of southern HII regions in 1960.
Alternative names of the object are GN 09.22.9 (Atlas of Galactic Nebulae, 1990) and MRSL 155 (comparison catalogue of HII-regions, Marsalkova 1975) and Gum 26.

Located some 20,000 light-years away in the southern constellation of Vela.
Gum 26 is an emission nebula or HII region, where the intense ultraviolet radiation streaming from newly-formed stars ionises the surrounding hydrogen gas, causing it to emit a faint pinkish glow.

John Ebersole's recent closeup photograph on Astrobin inspired me to image this as well.
Unfortunately, my gear can't compare with an ASA 1m mirror, f2 instrument located at Chilescope, so my version appears in widefield at 1000mm FL which does lend context to how tiny this little sky flower really appears in it's surroundings.

Like John, my quest for new targets to image is at times all consuming, and to quote John himself, "Only rarely does one get to capture a seldom photographed celestial specimen. RCW42 (aka Gum26) in Vela, appears to be absent in the Astrobin archives and exists as only one reasonable image on the internet. It is tiny and lies in a relatively empty part of the sky between the Vela SNR and Eta Carina nebula. Enjoy this forgotten gem."

Here 'Tis!

Photographed from my light polluted suburban Aussie backyard under bortle 6 skies. Once again, the Stellarmate did most of the grunt work, mainly while I was sleeping

Now if there’s anyone out there with a much more powerful instrument that would also like to take a crack at this the coordinates are ...
RA center: 9h 24' 33"
DEC center: -52° 0' 39"
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (RCW_42-HaO3S2RGBx_SQ_iis.jpg)
187.5 KB59 views

Last edited by Andy01; 22-02-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Old 22-02-2021, 09:05 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Seriously off the beaten path Andy. Well done!
Old 22-02-2021, 11:30 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Huh! well lookey there...the little neb looks like a three leaf clover, very cool

The contrast between the long strings of faint nebulosity and the brighter flower, is rather nice

Yes a shot by M&T is on the cards...or have they already done it..guys?..

Mike
Old 23-02-2021, 02:17 AM
petershah (Peter Shah)

Love that Andy
Old 23-02-2021, 06:48 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Seriously off the beaten path Andy. Well done!
Thanks M&T, not my strongest image by any means, but fun to try something completely new, although a tad small for my FOV, would suit yours well though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Huh! well lookey there...the little neb looks like a three leaf clover, very cool

The contrast between the long strings of faint nebulosity and the brighter flower, is rather nice

Yes a shot by M&T is on the cards...or have they already done it..guys?..

Mike
Cheers Mike, seems we both like to venture off the well trodden paths occasionally. Never know what you might find there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petershah View Post
Love that Andy
Cheers Peter, appreciate the good vibes
Old 23-02-2021, 09:52 PM
gregbradley

A new object. Wow this site is really finding some obscure nebulas.

I like it.

Greg.