Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 10-02-2021, 03:29 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
My needs are simple and i don't do any of that stuff that you young guys do, on the internet other than being on IIS occasionally.

I'm Happy
You're happy for now, but the fact that you're on XP on the internet is like taking all the locks off your doors at home and saying you don't actually need them.

XP offline isn't so bad, but you're putting it online which is very very bad.

I also wouldn't say it's a "young guy" thing. Security should be something all ages are concerned with. There's a reason older people are scammed more often.
I do wish you luck with this, and hope nothing happens to your machine when you're connected online.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:56 AM
chromus (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
You're happy for now, but the fact that you're on XP on the internet is like taking all the locks off your doors at home and saying you don't actually need them.

XP offline isn't so bad, but you're putting it online which is very very bad.

I also wouldn't say it's a "young guy" thing. Security should be something all ages are concerned with. There's a reason older people are scammed more often.
I do wish you luck with this, and hope nothing happens to your machine when you're connected online.
Great assessment, the only MS supported and approved use for XP now is embedded equipment behind commercial firewalls and they go out of their way to say 'stop being a dick and move ASAP'.

Windows 10 even goes as far as being able to entirely emulate XP in its compatibility mode, the difference being its protected by the Win10 environment it's running inside of.

If the OP is scared of 10 because it's new and might have to re-learn the modern fangled stuff there are skins that can be installed to make it look a and navigate like when they trudged to school in snow drifts in bare feet in 19-dickety.