Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-02-2021, 05:49 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Connecting to EQMOD / SynScan Pro

I don't know whether this has been raised on the forum before, but I have purely by chance discovered that the SkyWatcher USB-adaptor works just as well for EQMOD and that the EQMOD cable works for the SynScan Pro software too.

With hindsight is sort of obvious that they should, but hey better late than never

Anyway, I have attached the pricing of said cables - it's up to you which you choose...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot 2021-02-15 161923.jpg)
73.5 KB49 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot 2021-02-15 162018.jpg)
48.6 KB61 views
Old 15-02-2021, 10:15 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Please pardon my ignorance but what’s this device for ?
I have both EQ6-R mount types , 2018 model with standard RJ45 port , where the handcontroller plugs in , and the later 2019 model that has the additional USB2B port
I use EQMOD and Stellarium to control both mounts using the latest Ascom version of Stellarium and connect both models direct from laptop to mount ( no handcontroller )
My 2018 model EQ6-R mount I use the USB2 EQ5 cable you attached with an additional 3m USB2 extension cable direct from laptop to mount ( handcontroller port )
My 2019 model EQ6-R mount I use a 5m long USB2B to USB2A cable direct from laptop to mounts new additional USB2B port

I thought it was the wifi adapter ? But obviously not

I welcome your advice on this adapter and what it’s used for ?

Thanks in advance
Old 16-02-2021, 12:38 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Pre-usb mounts required a special serial cable to drive the mount without a hand controller. Why would you do this? well in my case my EQ8 is remotely operated and its the only way to start up the mount from cold without having to be there to press a key, even to access pc-direct mode.

Others are keen users of other telescope control software such as EQMOD and Green Swamp Server, both of which add a heap of capabilities not available via the hand controller.

Playing catch-up, skywatcher have now provided a fully supported method of telescope control without a handset for older scopes and that is the rather keenly priced cable it needs
Old 16-02-2021, 07:51 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I remotely control both my EQ6-R mounts ( older and newer USB type ) from 3m away and use EQMOD and Stellarium ( the handcontrollers have never been used and are packed away ) and I don’t require one of these Skywatcher USB adapters ?? I’m connected direct from laptop to mount

Maybe I’m missing something ?

When you say remotely control , do you mean from inside the house or a remote site ??
Old 16-02-2021, 08:25 AM
h0ughy (David)

Jonathan,
The USB skywatcher device can be flakey on some occasions and doesn't always work just a FYI on that one where the other direct cable never seems to be an issue
Old 16-02-2021, 08:54 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Jonathan,
I just read the Skywatcher site and a few other sites, it’s just a USB dongle to connect direct
You don’t really need it and I’d be wary of it too, just another device in the set up that’s not really needed , just go EQ direct , I use EQDirect on my old and new mounts and it’s been faultless for years
For those who want to use EQMOD and the latest Stellarium to control their skywatcher mounts direct from laptop to mount , see attached
Not a fan of dongles
Cheers
Martin
Old 16-02-2021, 09:07 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
I remotely control both my EQ6-R mounts ( older and newer USB type ) from 3m away and use EQMOD and Stellarium ( the handcontrollers have never been used and are packed away ) and I don’t require one of these Skywatcher USB adapters ?? I’m connected direct from laptop to mount

Maybe I’m missing something ?

When you say remotely control , do you mean from inside the house or a remote site ??
It can be used instead of your USB2 EQ5 cable.

My observatory is remote and unattended (despite being 50m away )