Old 20-10-2018, 05:26 PM
denpavlov (Den)

Dob or APO

Hi,

I have been interested in astronomy for a while and reading lots of articles and news related to it. Not so much about equipment.

Now the time has come and I have a budget say ~$3,500.
My primary goal is to observe galaxies and nebulae. Secondary - the solar system. I am based in Brisbane. Not planning to travel with the equipment but mostly use it in the backyard.

I understand that my budget can afford a sizable dobsonian with goto or entry size APO.

What would be your recommendation?

Cheers
Old 20-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Kunama

DOB or APO ?

Definitely DOB. Galaxies are not really in reach of refractors at the ~ $3500 level, especially if that budget has to cater for a mount as well.

To stretch your $$$$ further, I suggest buying a used one rather than new

BUT before opening your wallet at all, I suggest you get along to an astro gathering in your area and try a few on for size.....

Clickie here: http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/teles...oToDob_14.html
Old 20-10-2018, 06:16 PM
glend (Glen)

As Matt says, a Dob is a good place to start. I would suggest a 10", as they start to get heavy above that size. Andrews is running a 10% off sale on Skywatcher goto dobs at the moment. You could get the 10" Skywatcher Goto Dob for $1849 - 10%, so about $1664, and they will ship it to you, probably for much less than the discount amount. Buy the shroud for it ($69-10%).
Old 20-10-2018, 06:46 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpavlov View Post
... observe galaxies and nebulae. Secondary - the solar system.
A dob. Aperture rules for galaxies and nebulae and they don’t need high magnification, so manual tracking (pushing it) is not a problem.

You’ll need 3-4 eyepieces, for a dob buy Televie ones, they’ll last you a long time.

Last edited by Wavytone; 20-10-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 20-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I'm another one to vote "DOB".
I would also suggest that if you can have a look at a few different sizes in person it will make a big difference. The last thing you'd want to do is buy the biggest that you fits your budget just to realise after it has arrived that it is far bigger, heavier and awkward to move around than you like.

As Glen mentioned, 10" is a great size as it does get bigger and bulkier from 12" and beyond. You may find a 16" perfectly fine or you may not, best way to find out is to find a local astro club
Old 20-10-2018, 07:14 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Yes, buy a big dob. make sure it has wheels to move around. Install them if it doesn't. Make an off aperture mask for it 5" for a 12" dob, 6" for a 16" dob and you will experience the "Apo" effect without the cost.
Old 20-10-2018, 07:20 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

All good advice.
Personally I would go for a 10 inch f5 on a heq5 mount...that way you get goto and can take photos later as you may want to do...if you have a dslr its only a few bucks for a connection (t ring) and a remote control and you can take photos of nebula.
With the mount you will find things easy and it will track while you say change ep or take a break.
Alex
Old 20-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

10 inch would be pushing the heq5 alex then adding a dslr.
Old 20-10-2018, 09:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I thought so once but some do I believe...I was going to suggest an 8 inch f5 but that was just recomending my preference for something lighter but I think 8 inch is not bad for visual for that matter.

I think Andrews sell a heq5 and 10 inch combo...

I come from a time of long exposures and understressed mounts but that heq5 of mine takes the eight the dslr addititional tube rings 70 mm viewer scope and guide scope...once I would want that on a eq6 minimum...
Another thing if you later wanted a good refractor say a nice little 80 mm you would have a mount for it...
One thing to include is a good set of binnos...I love my 80 mm for visual...and I just bought this other 50 mm pair at a counyry show...bushnel...20 x mag which if I had of noticed at the time would not have bought them ...I thought they would by usual mag but they have turned out the be excellent.

I have been useing them during so many photo sessions...great views in a dark place and well adapted.
Alex
Old 20-10-2018, 10:12 PM
raymo

This subject keeps turning up like the proverbial bad penny. The HEQ5 will
physically handle a 10" quite easily, the limiting factor is not the physical strength of the mount, [ which would in fact handle a much larger Newt,] it is the power of the motors. I know of two people that have used 10" Newts
and one that used a 12". The essential thing is to carefully balance the
scope slightly against the drive direction, and be aware that the larger the scope the more susceptible to wind caused vibration it will be. With a
permanent installation, a pier is the way to go.
raymo
Old 21-10-2018, 05:55 AM
Kunama

I don't agree with the recommendation of a 10" Newtonian on an Equatorial mount as a solution to the OP wanting to observe galaxies from his backyard.

Just thinking about where the HEQ5 will have the focuser oriented has my neck in spasms.

Den, go with a Dobsonian and if possible 12" or larger if you want to see galaxies.......
Old 21-10-2018, 05:57 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Yes, buy a big dob. make sure it has wheels to move around. Install them if it doesn't. Make an off aperture mask for it 5" for a 12" dob, 6" for a 16" dob and you will experience the "Apo" effect without the cost.
I like the way you think John
Old 21-10-2018, 10:43 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I don't agree with the recommendation of a 10" Newtonian on an Equatorial mount as a solution to the OP wanting to observe galaxies from his backyard.

Just thinking about where the HEQ5 will have the focuser oriented has my neck in spasms.

Den, go with a Dobsonian and if possible 12" or larger if you want to see galaxies.......
I agree I had not thought of ep position ...I recall my delight with my 12 inch which was the first time I had used a dob both at the ease and comfort really.
And it was easy to set up☺ open the door and roll it onto the deck.
And the dances I have had with that scope...you will get your moneys worth out of a twelve...what a 16 cost☺
Alex
Old 21-10-2018, 10:53 AM
raymo

I agree with the Dob being the way to go. I was just pointing out that the HEQ5 would do the job asked of it. Incidentally, I resolved the eyepiece position problem with a $5 D.I.Y. mod which I have described in other
threads over the last few years.
raymo
Old 21-10-2018, 05:07 PM
AndrewF (Andrew)

Get an 8/10" dob, keep the rest of your cash aside and if you still want something bigger in 6 months upgrade then. During that time you'll figure out exactly what you're after while learning the basics of observing.
Old 22-10-2018, 09:31 AM
denpavlov (Den)

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. it looks like everyone is voting for a dob as a starting point. This was a bit surprising to see as I expected at least some people to lean toward an APO.

I will follow the advice to first of all experience the telescopes before making any decisions.

Could you recommend any places I could do that? I live in Redcliffe but am willing to travel.

cheers
Old 22-10-2018, 09:43 AM
doug mc

A big go to dob on wheels. Doesn't get much better.
Old 22-10-2018, 09:54 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mc View Post
A big go to dob on wheels. Doesn't get much better.

+1

And if you decide to pull the trigger on the 16" Goto Skywatcher in the classifieds (which I see you've sent a pm regarding), then I have an almost new 16" Skywatcher dob trolley which would make the perfect companion for your new scope!
Old 22-10-2018, 12:23 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

^^^ And why someone would sell his 16" Goto dob [Skywatcher or whatever] if it is that good really?!!!
Old 22-10-2018, 01:42 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

to buy an ever bigger goto dob!