Old 06-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Astrofriend (Lars)

A visit to Teide observatory at Tenerife

Hi,
I got the feeling that readers at astronomy forums like to read about observatories. Every time I and my girlfriend travel around in different countries we try to do some astronomy related.

Two years ago we visited Tenerife and there is also the Teide observatory. There are guided tours but couldn't make cotact with them, maybe because of the bad weather.

Anyway we rent a car and drive up to the mountain Teide to at least have a look from outside of the observatory. I havn't write about this because we didn't get very close, anyway I think it could be interesting for you that could not go to Tenerife, and the nature is awesome.

Here is my report from Teide observatory:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/...servatory.html

For you who find it interesting to read about observatories I have visited all of them are here:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/...ory-sites.html

Our last travel was to the island of Crete. Also Crete has an observatory that we tried to visit but have to cancel because of bad weather. I have a lot of photos from the roads at the mountain up to the observatory and links. Later I set up a story about this too even if we didn't get all the way up to the observatory. It was an exiting day anyway!

/Lars
Old 06-10-2018, 05:14 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Thanks Lars, I enjoyed your journey to the top.

It did look a little bleak and windswept though, not what one would expect when visiting the Canary Islands.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Hi Dennis,
You are correct, I too was a bit disipointed, La Palma is much better. Bigger telescopes and not so many tourist that light pollute.

/Lars