Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
Old 27-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Recomendations from the book Astrophotography by H.J.P. Arnold.
During totality
ISO 400 8secs @ f8
4secs @ f5.6
1sec @ f2.8
But they do stress that this is a basic guide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
Yep it is confusing when Covington gives from 5 sec and between 1 and 3 minutes for the same settings but different conditions. 5sec for a light totality (?) and 1-3 min for a dark totality (?)
Hi Guys

In the very dark lunar eclipse of 16th July 2000, the Moon passed through the centre of the Earth’s shadow and at mid-totality, I exposed for 3 mins at f8 on Kodak Gold 100 ASA colour print film.

See photo in Msg 38 in this thread.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 27-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Hey guys, thought I'd show you this article that appeared in the local Central Coast "Express Advocate" on Wednesday the 15th August.

Pretty funny seeing myself in the local paper. A few people at Karate came up to me and said they saw me in the paper

The local ABC (92.5 central coast) saw the article and rang me on the Friday to interview me on air about the eclipse. It's definitely helped get some more Central Coast locals on IceInSpace!
Hmm, congratulations for spreading the word and well done Mike.

Not sure who is the biggest media tart now – you or H0ughy.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 27-08-2007, 06:14 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Houghy is on KO-FM tomorrow morning, but I was on Star 1045 FM this arvo (to be played tomorrow).. it's probably even
Old 27-08-2007, 06:16 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I found this on the Courier Mail website.
A very nice multimedia presentation by Dr Nick Lomb, curator of Astronomy at Sydney Observatory.
http://media01.couriermail.com.au/mu...ex.html?id=321

Mike, did they actually ask you if you believe in aliens? LOLOLOL
Old 27-08-2007, 07:27 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

lol yes Jeanette.. he was obviously after a catchy headline
Old 27-08-2007, 07:43 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Quote:
Hey guys, thought I'd show you this article that appeared in the local Central Coast "Express Advocate" on Wednesday the 15th August.

Pretty funny seeing myself in the local paper. A few people at Karate came up to me and said they saw me in the paper

The local ABC (92.5 central coast) saw the article and rang me on the Friday to interview me on air about the eclipse. It's definitely helped get some more Central Coast locals on IceInSpace!

Maybe we should change Iceman's name to "King of all Media"...while not quite as "exposed" as Howard Stern in the US, he is gaining fast! What is next the movie?! ...seriously, that is really cool!
Old 27-08-2007, 08:05 PM
astroAJ
Deep Sky King

Yep what can i say?
Lunar eclipse can’t wait
I’m a first timer so it will be a great site

Cool article
Old 27-08-2007, 09:32 PM
swannies1983 (Dan)

Lunar Tracking with Astromeccanica Motors (DA1): Possible?

This should be in the equipment section but given that it relates to tomorrow's eclipse, I thought it would be best in here.

I have an EQ6 with the DA1 handcontroller and I was just wondering if it was possible to lunar track with this controller. There is no specific "lunar" track option but I can increase or decrease the sidereal rate in steps of 0.039X. Am I simple able to adjust this setting to be able to track the moon? If so, does anybody know the rough tracking rate I need to type in?
Old 28-08-2007, 01:35 AM
nic.m
starry-eyed

I may be a little late here, but can anyone tell me a good viewing point for the eclipse in Perth? I'm totally new to astronomy and can't think of a spot with a good eastern view.

Thanks in advance!
Old 28-08-2007, 05:05 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Nic, to IceInSpace.

I'm not a Perth local so can't help you directly, but hopefully some of the other Perth locals will jump in.

In WA, totality is already underway when the Moon rises for you, so you'll want a good Easterly horizon to catch it while it's still low.
Old 28-08-2007, 06:19 AM
DJDD

From BOM, for Melbourne:

Forecast for Tuesday
A partly cloudy day with a shower or two developing later afternoon or evening.
Strong northwesterly wind, moderating and shifting westerly early morning then
south to southwesterly later.

Precis: Late shower.
City: Max 18

that's a bit sad...

DJDD
Old 28-08-2007, 06:41 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

From looking at other Totality images during the March total eclipse that the US and Europe had, it does look like quite a long exposure will be needed - especially if it's a "deep"/dark eclipse - which this one should be, given that the moon passes quite deep into the Earth's shadow (it's not just a graze).

So undriven (no tracking) images during totality will be quite difficult - especially if you were (like me) planning on doing afocal handheld shots through the scope. Exposures of up 10-30s may be needed, perhaps even more. That's simply not in the realm of handheld or no tracking.

I wasn't planning on taking my mount (I was going to use the newt on the dob base), but now i'll take the mount and put the other camera on it with the 300mm lens, and use that for the tracked images. The image scale won't be as good and it won't be as sharp, but it'll be ok for a lower-res animation or similar.

I really need an ED80 and adapters for my DSLR.
Old 28-08-2007, 06:46 AM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDD View Post
From BOM, for Melbourne:

Forecast for Tuesday
A partly cloudy day with a shower or two developing later afternoon or evening.
Strong northwesterly wind, moderating and shifting westerly early morning then
south to southwesterly later.

Precis: Late shower.
City: Max 18

that's a bit sad...
DJDD

Wait for the 10:40 update, I am sure they will change their mind...they always do!
Old 28-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swannies1983 View Post
This should be in the equipment section but given that it relates to tomorrow's eclipse, I thought it would be best in here.

I have an EQ6 with the DA1 handcontroller and I was just wondering if it was possible to lunar track with this controller. There is no specific "lunar" track option but I can increase or decrease the sidereal rate in steps of 0.039X. Am I simple able to adjust this setting to be able to track the moon? If so, does anybody know the rough tracking rate I need to type in?
I think that the true Lunar Rate varies in both RA and DEC in a non-linear manner. I think that the Gemini controller (a la Losmandy) re-calculates the Moon position in real time every hour and that’s how it manages to track the Moon.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 28-08-2007, 07:39 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

A guy at work here just came in and said that the Triple J morning show (Mif, Jay and the Doctor) were just talking about the Lunar Eclipse and were reading information quoting IceInSpace at the source!!!
Old 28-08-2007, 07:42 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

I was amazed last night with my little Cub pack. I asked what was special about tomorrow night and they all whipped up their hands and told me (or really shouted) "an eclipse". Looks like the schools have really got into action on this one.

Anyway we had a good talk about it, including that a lunar eclipse will not burn your eyes out, and I handed out the printed article from Iceinspace, they all ran off home bugging thier parent about the article and where they can view from
Old 28-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
A guy at work here just came in and said that the Triple J morning show (Mif, Jay and the Doctor) were just talking about the Lunar Eclipse and were reading information quoting IceInSpace at the source!!!

Hey Mike

Your fame is spreading far and wide. Better get yourself an agent, a media consultant, stylist, fashion adviser, paparazzi contacts, etc.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 28-08-2007, 07:45 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcpb View Post
I was amazed last night with my little Cub pack. I asked what was special about tomorrow night and they all whipped up their hands and told me (or really shouted) "an eclipse". Looks like the schools have really got into action on this one.

Anyway we had a good talk about it, including that a lunar eclipse will not burn your eyes out, and I handed out the printed article from Iceinspace, they all ran off home bugging thier parent about the article and where they can view from
That's great to hear Rob, I think a lot of Scout groups are getting into it.

My son's Cub group is getting together tonight for the eclipse. I think they'll earn their "space badge" for viewing it.
Old 28-08-2007, 07:47 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Better get yourself an agent, a media consultant, stylist, fashion adviser, paparazzi contacts, etc.
LOL thanks Dennis, lucky I got a haircut on the weekend
Old 28-08-2007, 07:48 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote: