Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Earl (Earl White)

Sky-Watcher price changes

Hi everyone,

From the start of October, we’ll have to increase some Sky-Watcher prices in Australia.

As you can imagine - it’s not something we like to do!

We’ve been hit with a number of price increases from the factories along with falls in the Australian dollar. We've been able to absorb some of these price hikes, however there will be a number minor and varying price increases from the first week of Oct.

You’ll see the new prices gradually being updated on our website from this week and you can get updates from your local Sky-Watcher dealer.

We know we might get some flak over this but the reason we’re making a public announcement is mainly as a heads up for folks who are thinking about purchasing Sky-Watcher gear – especially the more expensive items like Esprit APOs and mounts. Your local Sky-Watcher dealer will likely have some stock at the older prices for a while.

If you have any questions, please let me know.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

earl thanks for reporting, good to see a manufacturer passing on info on a site like this: to often companies tend to be faceless with no comms
Old 03-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Earl (Earl White)

Thanks folks,

Yes, increasing prices and other "bad news" types of discussions are not something any business likes to have to do and it would be easier not to announce such in a public forum like this. However, we know some telescope and accessory suppliers can sometimes be a bit opaque (ok, bad pun...) as Daniel points out and this not something we'd like be seen as.

As I said, fire away with any questions!

Cheers,
Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 AM
kencas (Ken)

Thanks Earl for the heads up. It is very refreshing to have the companies announce impending price rises before they come in!

In hindsight I'm really lucky in that I bought my ED72 Achro, HEQ5 mount and HEQ5 transport case only in the last couple of weeks before the price rise! Normally, I procrastinate long enough that I miss the deadline and have to pay more (like Canon did this year...).

Ken.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:38 AM
nsavage (Nick)

Could I ask if this will affect orders that have already been placed with a SkyWatcher dealer but are on back order?
Old 03-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Earl (Earl White)

Hi folks,

Just to clarify as many mightn't be aware of the telescope business locally, we have been the Sky-Watcher (and Meade) wholesale Aus and NZ distributors for many years. Many of you who've bought Sky-Watcher products from dealers around the country would have likely had their product supplied through us. Those Sky-Watcher ads down the side of this forum post? Ours. The Sky-Watcher Australia website, Sky-Watcher catalog, Aus Facebook page and group etc? You get the drift.

I'll also point out that these are high volume items and we bring large amounts of Sky-Watcher product into Australia. ie, we ship it in by the container load! Price increase are a pain frankly and not something we do for the fun of it.

We're always happy to engage with our Sky-Watcher dealers AND customers and try to give as much support and assistance as we can. We're also always on the look out for ways to improve. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

If you have an order with a dealer waiting on stock then you'll get your order at the original price you ordered it from them. Price increases will only apply to dealers ordering stock from us this week onwards.

Plus there's been a few small drops in prices. For example, we're dropping the price of the EQ8 mount. Anyone who has their eye on one make sure to ask your dealer for the latest price.

Cheers,
Old 03-10-2018, 12:11 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Hi folks,

Just to clarify as many mightn't be aware of the telescope business locally, we have been the Sky-Watcher (and Meade) wholesale Aus and NZ distributors for many years. ...Anyone who has their eye on one make sure to ask your dealer for the latest price.

Cheers,
excellent thanks for clarifying - be good to receive regular updates as to what's going on -i hope users don't use you for vendor bashing or complaints dept
Old 03-10-2018, 01:15 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Thank you Earl for being honest.

I am not an SW client at all, but it is refreshing to see an honest importer/supplier/dealer. Kudos.

(and yes, his signature line has ALWAYS said what it says now)
Old 03-10-2018, 05:04 PM
casstony

Earl, I notice the Integra 105 is still advertised; is Skywatcher still planning to market that scope?
Old 03-10-2018, 07:22 PM
Marke (Mark)

Thanks for the heads , like the majority here it is appreciated that we are notified wish more vendors / suppliers would have closer ties to the community .
Old 03-10-2018, 07:33 PM
RB (Andrew)

Some inappropriate posts have been reported by members and have been deleted.
Watching this thread.

RB
Old 03-10-2018, 07:37 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Plus there's been a few small drops in prices. For example, we're dropping the price of the EQ8 mount.

Cheers,
Nooooooooooooo........
I just bought one!
Oh well, it happens
I do love my EQ8

Thanks for the heads up (opens new tab, searches "Esprit 80")
Old 03-10-2018, 07:56 PM
brisen (Brian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoody View Post
Nooooooooooooo........
I just bought one!
Oh well, it happens
I do love my EQ8

Thanks for the heads up (opens new tab, searches "Esprit 80")
I almost pulled the trigger on an EQ8 on the weekend but got sidetracked with work and didn’t get the chance to order. After the price drop Earl quoted me this afternoon I am very happy a problem at work delayed my ordering. Also happy I got the Esprit 80 in the recent shipment given these are increasing in price. Now just awaiting a quote to see what I can pick up the EQ8 for locally.

Brian
Old 03-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisen View Post
I almost pulled the trigger on an EQ8 on the weekend but got sidetracked with work and didn’t get the chance to order. After the price drop Earl quoted me this afternoon I am very happy a problem at work delayed my ordering. Also happy I got the Esprit 80 in the recent shipment given these are increasing in price. Now just awaiting a quote to see what I can pick up the EQ8 for locally.

Brian
Whats the new price?
Old 03-10-2018, 08:39 PM
brisen (Brian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
Whats the new price?
RRP for mount with tripod is $4 999 and just the head is $4 499 which is a drop of $1 000 on the full setup RRP and $500 on the head. These are the skywatcher direct prices but waiting for a quote from where I usually purchase as they have traditionally been lower then the RRP. If they match the drop in RRP from current price it will be a very attractive option.

Brian
Old 03-10-2018, 09:17 PM
Earl (Earl White)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisen View Post
RRP for mount with tripod is $4 999 and just the head is $4 499 which is a drop of $1 000 on the full setup RRP and $500 on the head. These are the skywatcher direct prices but waiting for a quote from where I usually purchase as they have traditionally been lower then the RRP. If they match the drop in RRP from current price it will be a very attractive option.

Brian
Just to clarify this - this is the new EQ8 RRP and our dealer prices have been adjusted accordingly as well. If your local dealer is happy to go below RRP, happy times!
Old 03-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Earl (Earl White)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Earl, I notice the Integra 105 is still advertised; is Skywatcher still planning to market that scope?
Tony,

Let me check that for you. It's a nice little scope.

Cheers,
Old 04-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Earl (Earl White)

Hi Tony,

Yep. We'll have some more of the Integra 105 telescopes in a few weeks time.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:30 AM
RB (Andrew)

Reminder about Section 4 of the TOS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman
4. Vendors and Advertising
•Vendors are not permitted to post advertising on the forums.
•Advertising on or behalf of a vendor is not permitted either directly or indirectly by displaying links to a vendor in a member's signature.
Vendors are permitted to participate in discussions but not promote or sell their products. That is, they are free and welcome to post in their capacity as an amateur astronomer or stargazer but in their capacity as a vendor, they should only state information in a thread that discusses one of their products. Their signature may include a link to their company website, providing they seek permission from IceInSpace.
•Vendors are to refrain from commenting on their competitors equipment/products (directly or indirectly). Please restrain your comments to products you manufacture or sell.
When discussing a vendor, be careful about what you post as it can be easy for comments to be taken the wrong way and a vendor may take offense. In general, remember to be specific about your experience or opinion, don't generalise and don't play judge and jury. Think and re-read before pressing submit.
We don't usually allow venders (and there are a number of venders that are members here) to promote their products.

We've allowed this thread as a public announcement in order to inform members here about a price increase.
That's now been done.
No further discussion will be allowed as to the whys' and therefores' of said increase.

Any further questions should be directed to the OP via PM.

RB
Closed Thread