Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:27 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
HRoger, lucky you. If I had the choice, I'd be in Paris, too! Great place. : )
Hopefully it is great... I'm struggling with the cost vs benefit analysis (only because the cost side of the equation is so heavily weighted!) ... but my wife assures me it'll be worth it.. Anyhow, not wanting to overrun this thread with OT.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Does anybody know what mobile phone reception and mobile internet is like around the camp site?

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:59 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
Does anybody know what mobile phone reception and mobile internet is like around the camp site?

Cheers
Steffen.
There's no GSM reception.
If you have NextG, you can *sometimes* get reception around the bottom house. If you walk or drive to the top of the nearby hills, you'll get reception fairly regularly.

In the previous years, I've often driven to the top of the hill near the top house, or sometimes driven higher on the road that heads off to the right when crossing the cattle grid.

If you haven't been there before, I (or someone else) can show you where the best spots are.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Excellent, that's better than nothing. I have to keep some ties to work, even though I'll be on leave those few days…

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:34 PM
RB (Andrew)

Things are looking good for me this year again.
Hopefully I'll make it.
Some of the kids want to come too but not sure if I can take them.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:49 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

That's great RB, will be great to see you again!
Old 10-08-2010, 05:55 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

I think the girls are off to France with their father... so it will probably be just Lyn and myself this year... I guess that's 1 (realistically 2!) up on last year.

Al.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 PM
norm

For those who haven't been, I highly recommend it. For newbies, there is plenty of people willing to share and depart their knowledge on all things astro related.

The ammenties are clean and adequate with great places to setup camp.
Its a well run event and the fee charged imo is reasonable.

I wouldn't begrudge Mike and the volunteeers if they were to make a small profit, given the huge time and effort they put into this in making it happen.

Cheers, Norm
Old 18-08-2010, 09:03 PM
montewilson (Monte)

Following on belatedly from an earlier post about the price of the event, please take it from someone who has been involved in the organizing of a number of SPSP's and has been to some of the signature US events like the Winter Star Party in Florida, the IIS Star Party is very well priced and lacks nothing in terms of organization and attention to detail. I would also add that being a smaller event than others on the Star Party calendar it is a fine one to bring the family to and/or come as a "newbie".
Old 21-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Thanks Mike,
Appreciate all the work you have done for this.
I really enjoyed it last year.
And I highly recommend this event.

Booked.
Confirmed.
Paid.

See you there.
Old 26-08-2010, 06:25 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)
Neo - as in Dr Neo Cortex

Hi People, I think the link to Lostock Caravan Park might be incorrect. When you click, you end up in Wales. Don't suppose registration also includes airfares and equipment transport

Thinking about going - be a good chance to see those that know what they are doing in action ( especially as I just purchased my first EQ mount ).

The chance to look through a BIG dob, is also very appealing. Not sure if it is worth bringing my gear ( 10" Newt with HEQ5PRO - yes yes, too heavy I know, but ok for visuals once I workout how to get it properly aligned ).

P.S. Havn't found any info re this caravan park, can someone supply a web address, or phone number ?

Cheers
Doc

Last edited by DRCORTEX; 26-08-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 26-08-2010, 11:10 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Hi Doc,

No caravan park at the IISAC site which is a bit north of Lostock Dam.

Check Google Earth or Google Maps, screen grab attached.

151° 25' 29" E, 32° 18' 49" S

Look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (screenshot.1.jpg)
22.4 KB30 views
Old 26-08-2010, 11:28 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Doc,

If you can bring your rig there will be plenty of people ready to help you with alignment and anything else you're a bit scratchy on!

The Three Rivers Foundation guys will be there, the large dobs are just sensational, I hardly looked through my own scope last year!

I've attached a picture of the camping and caravan area, no power so be prepared!

Any other questions, just ask.

Cheers
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IISAC09-02.jpg)
191.6 KB47 views
Old 30-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp9au View Post
Doc,

I have attached a picture of the camping and caravan area, no power so be prepared!

Chris
Hey Chris, nice shot, you managed to capture almost the entire "Central coast" contingent there.

Just to avoid confusion, this is not the Caravan Park Doc. this is just the camping on the next door farmers site (the $15 per night stuff). The caravan park is a few kilometres back up the road near the Lostock Dam.

This may help
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow pages
Lostock Dam Caravan Park
Caravan & Tourist Parks - Lostock, NSW
(02) 4931 7118
Address
1823 Paterson River Rd, Lostock NSW 2311, Australia
this is what the caravan looks like:...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (img_0389.jpg)
69.5 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (img_0397.jpg)
86.5 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (img_0399.jpg)
68.6 KB32 views
Old 02-09-2010, 07:25 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

The Mekon has booked. I have not been to a star party for 5 years so am looking forward to this one!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Good to hear it John!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

So far we only have 22 bookings, with 33 people coming to IISAC2010.

It looks like being the last star party in the calendar year isn't a good idea. With only just over a month to go, the numbers are very low. Maybe people have used up their budget or brownie points at other star parties throughout the year.

If it doesn't pick up, I'm not even going to come close to covering costs. It's too late to cancel it for this year but maybe I'll have to go to every 2nd year, or maybe not at all. It's just too much trouble to organise if not many people end up coming.

I'm not bitter or upset about it - the Australian star party calendar is very full now - with lots of star parties throughout the year (both large and small ones) being held by Astronomy clubs and societies.

It looks like people are either already getting their fill with the other star parties, or maybe IISAC just isn't offering what they want in a star party.

I guess we'll see what happens in the next month.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

I'm sorry to hear that, 33 doesn't sound like a bad number to me. What is your target, how many people attended in previous years?

I hope you get more bookings in the weeks to come, in any case I'll be there with a delegation of 5

I'd like to ask a question, while I'm here. During previous astro camps in Lostock, did people leave their scopes set up for the duration of their stay or did they set up and pack away each night?

Cheers
Steffen.

Last edited by Steffen; 03-09-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:55 PM
h0ughy (David)

left them set up until the morning after
Old 03-09-2010, 01:59 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
So far we only have 22 bookings, with 33 people coming to IISAC2010.

It looks like being the last star party in the calendar year isn't a good idea. With only just over a month to go, the numbers are very low. Maybe people have used up their budget or brownie points at other star parties throughout the year.

If it doesn't pick up, I'm not even going to come close to covering costs. It's too late to cancel it for this year but maybe I'll have to go to every 2nd year, or maybe not at all. It's just too much trouble to organise if not many people end up coming.

I'm not bitter or upset about it - the Australian star party calendar is very full now - with lots of star parties throughout the year (both large and small ones) being held by Astronomy clubs and societies.

It looks like people are either already getting their fill with the other star parties, or maybe IISAC just isn't offering what they want in a star party.

I guess we'll see what happens in the next month.
well if more people get on board that can get a chance to image the antares region, then the helix and push it for the orion complex in the one night so for three nights you can get heaps and i know that the weekend it is on will be crystal clear and with anthony wesley seeing. if nothing else you will get a chance to see Mike sidonio use his AP for the last time

other attractions - meeting everyone else and the talks. ONE CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH STAR PARTIES