Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 21-01-2018, 03:38 PM
jess

Declination Screw German Eqitorial Mount 600 Model

Hello. I am desperately looking for help. My husband passed away and he had a lovely telescope......astrophysics..... which I would like to sell. Unfortunately it seems to be missing a declination screw on the mount..... I know NOTHING about telescopes. I was wanting to know if anyone out there knows where I can get a replacement screw. Or if there is someone who could make one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as so far I have drawn a blank
Also hope this was the right place to ask. Sorry if it wasn't
Thanks
JESS
Old 21-01-2018, 03:50 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess View Post
a lovely telescope......astrophysics..... which I would like to sell. Unfortunately it seems to be missing a declination screw on the mount..... I know NOTHING about telescopes.JESS
Jess, seems you must know something if you are aware the declination screw is missing. Question is which screw? Can you post a photo?
An Astro-Physics 600 mount can be worth $3000 or so, depending on what comes with it. An Astro-Physics telescope could be worth much more so be careful accepting quick offers on this equipment.
Old 21-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

I second that.

Astro-Physics are regarded very highly, so please be careful. Maybe contact Astro-Physics themselves. They are an American company.

http://www.astro-physics.com/

Cheers.
Old 21-01-2018, 05:09 PM
jess

Yes. I do have an idea how much the whole kit is worth. It is a lovely set up. A friend told me what the screw was called. They were only able to help that far. I have tried to google astro physics but got confused as to who to contact.
Old 21-01-2018, 05:15 PM
jess

Thanks Bart. I just sent a request though your link. Fingers crossed.
Old 21-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

You are welcome, Jess. Good luck!
Old 21-01-2018, 09:58 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Sincere condolances on the loss of your husband, was he a member here ?

As suggested post a photo of where you think somethings missing from .

Last edited by GrahamL; 22-01-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 22-01-2018, 10:17 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Hi Jess, and I’m sorry for you loss.
Depending on where you are there is bound to be someone who would be willing to make or modify a screw for the mount. If you are near Perth I’d be happy to turn something up for you. Alternatively, Astrophysics would most definitely be able to supply a replacement.
Regards
Andrew.
Old 22-01-2018, 01:16 PM
jess

Here are some photos. I hope I have it right. The screw goes across the end of the mount and pushes the arm across. One of the forks of the arm is broken but I have been told that is not an issue. The screw moves the telescope slowly so that it tracks the sky??????
Thank you for your sympathy. He passed away 6 years ago but I only now feel ready to sell his telescope. He was very proud of it. He was not a member here but he would have liked a forum such as this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCN0598_01.jpg)
175.4 KB66 views
Click for full-size image (DSCN0599_01.jpg)
160.3 KB59 views
Old 22-01-2018, 04:40 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

My, that is an old AP600 - I was expecting the Takahashi-copy AP600E, but this is the older version. Parts will be nigh on impossible, but if you ask George at AP, he MAY be able to find something. he found me some items discontinued in 1990, so you just never know!!!

Here is a link to a similar 600: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...ts-a-new-life/
Old 22-01-2018, 08:27 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
Here are some photos. I hope I have it right. The screw goes across the end of the mount and pushes the arm across. One of the forks of the arm is broken but I have been told that is not an issue. The screw moves the telescope slowly so that it tracks the sky??????
Thank you for your sympathy. He passed away 6 years ago but I only now feel ready to sell his telescope. He was very proud of it. He was not a member here but he would have liked a forum such as this.
Hi again Jess,
This would certainly have been his pride and joy. If you don't have any luck with Astro-Physics, you should be able to find a local machinist who can build the part if we can get someone who owns one to measure it up. If the telescope is in Western Australia I can help. Let us know what state you're in and I'm sure there's someone on the list who'd be willing to help get this thing operating again.
regards,
Andrew.
Old 23-01-2018, 10:42 AM
jess

Thanks Andrew.......unfortunately I am in NSW. I had an email back from Astro Physics...... They didn't know what I meant by a declination screw? Is it an Australian term? I have now sent them pictures and a very bad explanation of what it is. My uneducated interpretation of what I was told by someone else. Oh dear.
LewisM by AP I guess you mean Astro Physics.....My email was replied to by Christine.....If I ask her to ask George do you think that will find him or do you have a contact?
Thanks guys
Old 23-01-2018, 10:45 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Jess, I am happy to help with direct contact with George at AP if you like - just send me as many detailed photos as you can . Send me a PM and I will send you my email address.

I will ask George now if there is a chance of any AP600 parts. That will be best before making you send copious photos.
Old 24-01-2018, 01:14 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
Thanks Andrew.......unfortunately I am in NSW. I had an email back from Astro Physics...... They didn't know what I meant by a declination screw? Is it an Australian term? I have now sent them pictures and a very bad explanation of what it is. My uneducated interpretation of what I was told by someone else. Oh dear.
LewisM by AP I guess you mean Astro Physics.....My email was replied to by Christine.....If I ask her to ask George do you think that will find him or do you have a contact?
Thanks guys
Hi Jess, I’d call it the leadscrew for the declination tangent arm next time you’re talking to Astro-Physics. But your photos will do the trick I think.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 24-01-2018, 08:22 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

OK, George responded to me, and indeed they DO have some AP600 parts remaining. Jess, please emil me lots of photos - overall, every area etc as he said they will need it to determine what will be needed.

Just be aware that the cost may end up being prohibitive, and an AP600 is NOT in any sort of high demand except to a collector. May be best to sell on as-is and let a collector restore.

I would also suggest advertising it on Astromart, as the US audience would be more eager for an old AP mount than likely the local crowd. Please also be aware it is worth some money, so don't accept any low ball offers or "charity offers" ("I'll help you by taking it off your hands, seeing it's broken")