Old 24-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Littlegreenmen (Paul)

Customs charge ?

Hi guys,
Thinking of purchasing a new binoviewer from the US. At the moment I probably can just afford the price plus shipment “$1450 US” however I’m not certain the bino will incur a custom or tax fee when arriving in AUS.
To my knowledge over $1000 AU value requires payment however am I correct that if the retailer marks the consignment “Optical Accessories” there will be no charge.
Hope someone that has brought a bino or similar into Aus can help me.

Paul.
Old 24-11-2017, 08:11 PM
rally

Yes you will end up with additional charges and fees.

A Customs clearance fee and 10% GST on the total of the purchase price including the cost of freight and insurance (once that total exceeds AUD$1000
I dont think there will be any duty payable, but that might depend on the tariff code of the goods.
Old 25-11-2017, 01:38 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

GST is payable on the item and shipping.

There is a also a customs electronic entry fee of about $50 and security fee of $10. Items over $A10,000 attract a $200 entry fee.
Old 27-11-2017, 10:10 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

As answered Yes expect to pay the extras. Not so many retailers will specially mark packages anymore as "gift" or whatever to try to avoid the duties and couriers will hold the package and contact you for payment once its landed in Australia so it won't get delivered until you pay. Or they just return it if you give them the run around.

Just don't buy until you can afford to pay ALL costs. You'll get no sympathy from anyone and you're more likely to not get your order at all, its no fault of the retailer if you don't meet your financial obligations as a buyer. The responsibility lays on you.
Old 27-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Littlegreenmen (Paul)

Thanks guys,
Yes fully understand paying duties ect. on goods I have no problems with that
(apart from lack of funds at the moment) just can’t remember exactly but recall another thread stating Optical accessories are exempt from duties.
Don’t know if binoviewers are optical acc. but whatever I’ve placed a wanted ad in the forum so hopefully I won’t have to go through the extra costs of purchasing overseas.
Old 29-11-2017, 02:23 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

there are not (or soon wont be) any excemptions to values or items.

Just EXPECT to pay it no matter what you get told, lke I said if you cant cover the cost when it lands you may not get your item ever or a refund. if it comes through and you dont then good for you but crackdowns are in the works regardless whats ever happened in the past.