Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 20-08-2017, 12:43 PM
legoman_iac (Daniel)

Long time, no updates. Turns out the balcony won't work so am back to the drawing board.

Realised I have a section in the garden which I might be able to claim for astronomy and thinking I might be able to put a concrete pier in (permission permitting).

Current thoughts would be to only have the mount on the pier full time, with a cover, then bring the scope and camera out when in use.

This would allow for permanent polar alignment right?

Anyone see any major down side apart from "time for the scope to climatise to outside weather"?

- Daniel
Old 22-08-2017, 09:44 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Daniel,
DEFINITELY a long time no updates.

Now we need to see a plan of the garden area so we can suggest siting.
The Nth\Sth view axis is still best option as I said before. Just have to be ( annually) patient for things to come around again.

Re the temp issue, that depends on where you are going to store your scope. If it's downstairs in a garage rather than in the house then maybe it will be quite short. Either way a little bit of forward planning can resolve that one.

Now we need to see the site plan options ...
Old 23-08-2017, 10:35 AM
legoman_iac (Daniel)

Haha, thanks Brent!

Will sketch something up however there is only one spot I can put the pier, that is out of the way. Will not get much Easterly views but that's ok. Pier will be to the west of the house.

It'll be close to the street so am a little wary of that. Need to ensure it is camouflaged to look like anything but an expensive piece of equipment!

I'm guestimating the Field of View to be:
- 240 degrees: from 020 westeard around to 140
- approx 30 degrees off the horizon most of the way around

Hope this makes sense?

- Daniel
Old 23-08-2017, 11:50 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Nearly 2/3rds of the horizon with Sth included. Better than my setup and I certainly don't regret building mine. 30* is good, anything below that is normally soup anyway.
So what are you waiting for ? Get yourself down to the local hardware retailer and start spending ..

Mine is just basically a garden shed to look at, nothing to see here ....
Old 10-06-2018, 10:23 PM
legoman_iac (Daniel)

Wowser! Two years ago I started chasing the dream of a permanent setup. Since that time we've ended up renovating (mainly interior stuff) so my obs has taken a major set back.

Reno is nearly done and looking to get back into this again soon. Looks like I might have lost my spot for a pier ... should know in a month or so.

- Daniel
Old 10-06-2018, 10:34 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman_iac View Post
Wowser! Two years ago I started chasing the dream of a permanent setup. Since that time we've ended up renovating (mainly interior stuff) so my obs has taken a major set back.

Reno is nearly done and looking to get back into this again soon. Looks like I might have lost my spot for a pier ... should know in a month or so.

- Daniel
Sounds like you need to move. Take your capital gain, if you own it, and get out of town.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:27 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Geez ! You're supposed to have it finished by now... But yeah, I know, priorities and all that stuff.

Bugga on the pier spot. Can it be camouflaged as a bird bath during the day to be revealed in the dark for what it really is ?
I've gone mono now but the Ob is still paying it's way and having now retired it's getting some use and attention to the little things.

Keep plugging away ...
Old 11-06-2018, 08:51 PM
legoman_iac (Daniel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Sounds like you need to move. Take your capital gain, if you own it, and get out of town.
Hahaha ... not moving for a while now. Next move will be to Mars, should have less light pollution there, right?
Old 11-06-2018, 09:25 PM
legoman_iac (Daniel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
... Can it be camouflaged as a bird bath during the day to be revealed in the dark for what it really is ?
I've gone mono ...
Will have to investigate the camo idea ... might be a possibility.

Curious ... what do you mean "mono"?
Old 12-06-2018, 04:14 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman_iac View Post
Will have to investigate the camo idea ... might be a possibility.

Curious ... what do you mean "mono"?
Mono imaging is taking frames for each of the RGB colours and combining later to give full colour ie shoot 1 hour each of red, green and blue. then stack each separately, align and convert to channels to complete. I switched to the ASI 1600mm-cooled before last Xmas, my 1200D got retired.
It's a more complex and demanding process but as you use the full sensor for each colour ( no bayer matrix ) there is far more detail and depth available and the temp control helps minimise noise. The sensor is also better adapted to astro, more sensitive to Ha for example and you can manage light pollution better.
It's a bit of a learning curve but I'm starting to get the hang of it..... I think.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:59 AM
legoman_iac (Daniel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Mono imaging is taking frames for each of the RGB colours and combining ...
Ohhh, I read it as you've switched hobbies to 'mono' and retired your obs! Haha. My bad.