Old 07-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Volans

Wireless Cable Release

G'day All,

I have a Canon 350D and I have looked on the Canon website for wireless cable release systems. It appears they have 2 of them but the general distance these infrared devices operate over is about 5 or 6 metres.

I need it to operate over 8 metres and beyond.

If my plan goes into action then the camera will not be accessible by a standard cable release, nor will it be in the 5-6 metre range.

Does anybody have any thoughts on how I might operate the camera remotely from a distance of about 8.5 metres??

Peter.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:58 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

What sort of mount is it going on Peter? I use Star-Mate to remotely control slewing, focusing, image capture; including shutter release and exposure control, exposure count, autoguiding interface. I have no problems from around 10 meters. It can also interface with ArgoNavis for remote operation.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Volans

G'day Paul,

OK, this is what I'm trying to achieve:

This month's Photo Challenge is about people in a public space and I want to try to take a shot of an audience watching one of our shows at the planetarium. Instead of the camera being at the same level as the audience, I wanted to put the camera at the top of our dome, looking down.

Our planetarium dome is effectively a screen of many aluminium panels and each panel is perforated. The perforations are only 1-2 mm wide. I was going to rig up a basic camera mount and then thread 4 or 5 fishing lines down through the holes and attach them to the mount. The camera would then be hauled up to the top of the dome which would be about 8.5 metres from the floor.

I then need to completely remotely trigger the camera, which will be on full auto mode.

I can't have any wires dangling from the camera as it would spoil the shot.

The dome is of course white and would therefore reflect any infrared beams but would they travel the 8.5 metres to the camera?

Peter.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:29 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

OK, well that particular function of star-mate would work a treat, but I think you would baulk at the price Are you coming out to Astrofest? If so you could borrow one of mine and see if you can work with it. Unfortunately you would have to keep the camera and control box together some how, attach it to the mount possibly.

Have a think about it and if you aren't coming to the astrofest we might be able to work out some sort of get together and look at the feasibility of using it.

I'm coming down to the Bot Gardens for work but I don't think it is until mid August though.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I've just realized something. You would need to get 12V power to the star-mate for it to work. don't know how you would do that without some sort of external battery. Starting to get weighty now.