Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Nightscapes

Old 13-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Paramount

16 hours at Brimham Rocks timelapse

I spent the night at Brimham Rocks in North Yorkshire shooting another "Holy Grail" time lapse (day to night to day). Although it is a lovely area to shoot from scenery wise, it wasn't as dark as I was hoping and there was a fair bit of light pollution from Harrogate and the skies were a bit milky so the milky way didn't show that well, to top it all I accidentally tripped over one of the tripod legs when I was checking on batteries so there is a jolt in the time lapse. I've also included a couple of stills taken with my Fuji GFX50S and some drone footage from the morning taken with my Mavic Air. I used my Sony A7Sii and Samyang 24mm f1.4 lens on a Dynamic Perception slider and Pan and tilt head. In all I took about 2,200 images for the time lapse. The video can be seen at the link below in HD and 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zwrkua_AfM
Old 13-11-2018, 09:20 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Very nicely done. I like the camera move. And you managed to get smooth transitions without exposure jitter - good on you. A lot of elements working together there.

What intervals did you use? And what did you use for ramping the exposure?

Cheers
Markus
Old 13-11-2018, 09:30 AM
Paramount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Very nicely done. I like the camera move. And you managed to get smooth transitions without exposure jitter - good on you. A lot of elements working together there.

What intervals did you use? And what did you use for ramping the exposure?

Cheers
Markus
Hi Markus
Thanks for the comments, I use the Dynamic Perception Stage One Plus slider and Sapphire Pro pan and tilt head for the camera motion, all I have to do with this is set the start and end points of the move and how many frames I'm going to take, the slider is set to 'slave mode'. I use the "Timelapse+ view" intervalometer to control the ramping of the exposures and the movement of the slider. You must first take a correctly exposed photo on the camera at it's base ISO of 100 and then you enter a few parameters into the intervalometer such as the daytime interval (14 seconds in this case) and the night time interval (30 seconds), the only other parameters are the maximum exposure and ISO and how you want the ramping to be done (I set it to shutter speed first and then ISO), it is always best to leave the aperture wide open although the intervalometer can ramp that as well, it is not recommended. Then you start the slider program and then the intervalometer and all the exposure changes are made during the night. I use a plug in for Lightroom which is made by the manufacturers of the intervalometer which removes the flicker from the exposure changes by using key frames, it is very easy
Best wishes
Gordon
Old 17-11-2018, 08:03 AM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

Love your work Gordon.
Especially the clouds, panning, scene transitions, and music.
The drone sequence at the end morphing into "planet earth" is awesome!
Old 18-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Top work Gordon, I find this kind of photography very rewarding and usually captures the mood and feel of the place very well.

Thanks
Josh