Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quite a nice Trifid Peter, good to hear you have the SX camera sorted too. I have found my SX gear to be pretty good all these years, so hopefully your SX46 will now give years of trouble free performance

My wife and I were out again on the weekend looking for our own suitable rural property to hopefully do something similar... and I finally found Martins house and site. Drove past it on Yass Valley Way and recognised it from the road given the snipets of clues available in his website photos. I had tried looking for it on Google maps before but could never identify it. Looks like a good spot.

Mike
Old 08-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Paul Haese

The link is showing a fata error message Peter, but the thumbnail looks nice. I'll look again once that link is working.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:48 PM
gregbradley

Hi Peter,

Nice to see an image from your setup.
Nice background and stars in the image but the colour of the Trifid is a bit off. You've got an odd shade of pink/magenta in the coloured neb and the blue reflection nebula colour doesn't seem the correct shade as well.

Perhaps look at Rob Gendler's version as a benchmark. He to my eye, has the best colour management. Another would be Adam Block. Its probably your Ha blend has shifted the colour of the main neb too much.

Greg.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:01 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Thanks Mike!

I thought giving up my multi-camera system would make life easier. Ha, I seriously underestimated how difficult remote imaging can be. I don't even want to count up the number of times I've driven to Yass from Sydney! Good luck with your observatory project.

Peter
Old 08-10-2018, 11:03 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting me know about the link. Strangely, it works for me, but in checking it was clearly bringing up the wrong image. So, I've deleted everything except the latest revision and now it seems to be working OK. I would appreciate your take on my efforts here.

Many thank,
Peter
Old 08-10-2018, 11:07 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Greg,

I appreciate your comments! It's possible that you were looking at an image that I intended not to show...nevertheless, you might still feel the same about the current version. I did look at Gendler's just now and I agree about the red. I might try and tweak mine but I have to say that I'm a bit past trying to start over yet again. By the way, I did not use any Ha data...only RGB, no luminance either.

Edit: attached an attempt on the magenta. Is this going in the right direction?

All best,
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (14.colour adjust-crop.jpg)
124.9 KB17 views

Last edited by PRejto; 09-10-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:46 PM
PRejto (Peter)

I've uploaded a new version that I hope has improved colour. (see first post) I also was able to dig out some additional detail using the APF-R method (with a mask).

I'd appreciate any comments. Hopefully I'm moving in the right direction!

Thanks,

Peter
Old 11-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Googaliser (Marc)
Permanent Beginner...

Terrific image !
Old 12-10-2018, 08:19 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Hi Greg,

I appreciate your comments! It's possible that you were looking at an image that I intended not to show...nevertheless, you might still feel the same about the current version. I did look at Gendler's just now and I agree about the red. I might try and tweak mine but I have to say that I'm a bit past trying to start over yet again. By the way, I did not use any Ha data...only RGB, no luminance either.

Edit: attached an attempt on the magenta. Is this going in the right direction?

All best,
Peter
Yes I think that looks better. The blue reflection neb is a bit more restrained and showing the dimmer outer bands which are not as blue and the neb colour seems good. No Ha eh? Wow, you picked it up anyway with the other filters.

That fluorite lens eh? Fluorite lensed scopes do seem to produce better colours.

The lovely starry background is particularly good.

Greg.
Old 13-10-2018, 05:52 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your message. I have tried and tried but I cannot bring out more blue in the fainter areas. Maybe there is some trick in processing but I can't find it. But, I do think I need more blue frames...perhaps 30% more than the other filters based on some preliminary tests with the Deep Sky set.

Thanks,

Peter