Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 25-01-2017, 04:44 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Help with QHY9M - sudden change of Gain/Offset

Hello everyone
I have a QHY9S mono camera which I bought new a year or so ago.
I set the gain and offset (14/75) using a method from Craig Stark (I think) and all was good, used the camera for months and months no problems at all.
Then one night I noticed that something was very wrong with my subs. Long story short my Gain and Offset which I had set months ago was now suddenly way off. I re-did the setup and came up with numbers (17/105) that were very different from the originals.
What would cause this? Power supply problems or similar?
Now my images are not good at all, lots of noise and strange pixels.

Trying to troubleshoot the problem to work out if the DC201 power is faulty, the 9 pin cable or the camera itself.
Is the someone near to me (Ormeau Hills Gold Coast/South Brisbane) that I could borrow a power supply and or 9 pin cable from to test?

Thank you for reading, any help appreciated
Jeremy
Old 26-01-2017, 05:21 PM
diegocolonnello (Diego)
Breathing Stars

happened to me, somehow i was using a different version of the ascom driver........

I went back to the driver downloaded from Gamma electronics and everything was perfect again
Old 27-01-2017, 11:43 PM
billdan (Bill)

Hi Jeremy,
Not sure if this comment is too late and you have already sorted out your problem.
The change in the gain and offset has to do with the EZCAP software going back to probably default settings. The camera doesn't store those settings the capture software does all this (I believe).
The DC201 power supply is only for the TEC controller, it should not have any effect on the gain and offset settings.

The QHY help desk or ticket system is quite good and they respond to problems reasonably quickly. They can give you advise and depending on the problem can also flash upgrade the firmware from China for you.

Cheers
Bill
Old 28-01-2017, 07:42 AM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Thanks Diego and Bill
I have tried older drivers Diego but no change unfortunately.

I use APT most of the time Bill which does remember the settings so it wasn't that either but I know what you mean about Ezcap doing this. Flash upgrading the firmware couldn't hurt though.

I am narrowing down the probable cause of all this (I hope!). I seem to have hundreds of hot pixels even after just a 300 sec sub. The TEC is working as confirmed by all the lights being lit on the DC201 and the software (APT,EZCAP) telling me it is sitting at -15c.
I have a new 9 pin cable and dc201 coming (Theo from Gama - top service) just to see if that solves it. If not it will be back to China after their New year.

I originally thought it was to all to do with power. My connection sequence is
USB - 9 pin - 12volt
I am sure (well pretty sure but memory isn't that great) that when I used to connect this way that when the 9 pin went in that all the power lights on the DC201 would come on (apart from TEC obviously). Then when the problem started the -15v did not come on until I then plugged in the 12v plug.
If I go
9 pin - 12volt - USB then the -15v does light up. Maybe this is all happening as it should and it is just my memory playing tricks on me.

It is all a little odd (to me anyway) that all was fine for months then suddenly Gain/Offset needed to be changed which coincided when my troubles started. Something is off and it is bugging me. Sure the hot pixels can be sorted out with Dark frames but that isn't the point.

Thanks again for reading and your help Bill and Diego
Cheers
Jeremy