Old 22-11-2014, 07:46 AM
hobbit

CCD cameras.

Very quick question.
Is there any difference between "box" style cameras such as the atik 383 and "tube" style ones like the atik 460?

Thanks
Old 22-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I would say the boxes would have better heat dissipation/cooling, but the tubes trade this off by being hyperstar capable. Also, the box, being narrower, would be more suitable if it was positioned below an SCT on a fork mount.
Old 22-11-2014, 06:16 PM
hobbit

thanks. doesn't sound like it'll matter which I use.
Old 23-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

hobbit, the key thing in choosing among these two CCDs is mostly about what you want out of the sensor. The 460EX uses the low-noise Sony iCX694, whereas the 383L+ uses the larger format KAF-8300.

You'll get a wider FOV with the KAF and it has deeper wells, but the ICX has lower noise, higher QE, and overall, a higher dynamic range. It will require less cooling than the KAF for the same performance.

A lot of it will also come down to your image scale and speed, which will depend on your astrograph(s). For instance, if you are going to be imaging at f/4, you will need more expensive 36mm filters with the KAF, but can use 31mm with the ICX and still get no vignetting (down to f/2 in fact). If you are using short focal lengths, then the ICX will give you a good arcsec/pixel scale, whereas at long focal lengths it will be oversampled.

There's lots more to consider, and others might want to jump in. But in short, it's hard to give more precise answer unless you outline your entire imaging system.

I'm about to do an AP upgrade myself, adding an f/4 8" CF newtonian and a new CCD to my stable (I currently have a ED80T at f/4.8, SW120 at f/4 and C8 at f/6.3, and G3 with a small ICX419 chip). The 800mm FL of the new newtonian fits a 'gap' perfectly for me, and since I am imaging fast, I need to avoid vignetting. I've concluded that a ICX694 chipped CCD -- probably the Atik 460EX -- is the one for me. But it is horses for courses...