Old 15-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Polarising filter

Hi all

I've been given a polarising filter from a friend, it's one of those types that rotates.

I haven't used one of these before so would appreciate any tips on when, where, why etc. for using it.

I've found a bit of general info to get me started but would appreciate any tips from the experts.

Have a great day
Old 17-11-2014, 02:51 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Not really appropriate for astrophotography but very handy for daylight photography. Basically cuts down glare by blocking light from some polarised angles.

On some cameras its hard to see the effect on screen or in the viewfinder. just take the filter outside during the day, hold it up to your eye and slowly rotate it an you should see the effect it has.

It can darken parts of a daytime sky to a deeper blue, sunlight being reflected back off shiny things like grass/leaves can be reduced therefore increasing the colour (good on landscapes), reflections in windows can be reduced (handy if you are shooting something in a display case without your reflection ruining the shot. Likewise it can reduce the glare coming off water so you can see into the water better. Polarised car window tinting will look like a rainbow oil slick.
just practise really, the amount of change depends on the direction you are facing and where the sun is at the time so you will need to constantly adjust the filter as you shoot in different directions. it also means you will be shooting at a slower shutter speed since its cutting the amount of light coming into the lense. It's not meant to be a solar filter to let you safely shoot the sun, nor will it help you shoot nebulae. its effect is easier to see than to explain just go outside and look through it while rotating it.
Old 20-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Thanks sil

I have to get out and have a play.

Cheers
Old 21-11-2014, 07:23 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

It can be quite handy for things like water shots or car shots. Anything that has reflected light.

For instance, say you are shooting a water scene but the light from the sun is bouncing off the water and over exposing your shot. You rotate the filter until it cuts out the light reflecting off the water.
It will allow you to see through the glare and into the water as well.

Polarizing filter also give a colour saturation boost. But be careful they can make your sky look unnatural.

The also give a contrast boost great for bringing out detail in clouds and so on.

Cheers
Sandy
Old 21-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Thanks Sandy.

Cheers