Old 03-01-2014, 04:53 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Question PixInsight CR2/RAW Processing

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm my suspicion: To calibrate & register CR2 files in PixInsight they need to be split in to FITS of Red, Green and Blue channels.

?

Tutorials I have found don't mention this but when I do the required step of converting CR2 to FIT the FIT's end up grayscale. The only way I can think to overcome this is to split them in to RGB files and process individually.

Thanks,
Roger.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:18 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Forget it ... seems I was reading old documentation because loading CR2's and doing the full workflow of reduction, alignment, etc on them and their large .FIT results works fine. No need for splitting channels it seems for now.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:07 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

If you're using the BatchPreProcessing script, just make sure the "CFA Images" option is ticked (Colour Filter Array). If you're doing it manually using ImageCalibration standalone script, I think the option there is "CFA pattern detection".

If things are working for you, must have the above checked.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
If you're using the BatchPreProcessing script, just make sure the "CFA Images" option is ticked (Colour Filter Array). If you're doing it manually using ImageCalibration standalone script, I think the option there is "CFA pattern detection".

If things are working for you, must have the above checked.
I was using the "BatchFormatConversion Script" to convert the CR2 in to FIT, which doesn't seem to have a CFA option but does have "raw cfa" as the default value in the "Input format hints". This was producing greyscale FIT files.

I then instead didn't do any batch conversion and just loaded the RAW files directly in to image calibration which produced the correct colour FIT files as output. So I'm guessing there's no longer a need to do conversion to FIT first.