Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Coma correctors for fast newts

There's the MPCC of course - something of a standard - but when backfocus problems make the MPCC unworkable, you go looking for alternatives. I need to find a corrector that will give me another 5 or 6mm to play with. What do others use on their fast newtonians (if anything)?

Peter
Old 01-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

I found an MPCC gave me some extra back focus on my 12 inch, it appears its not enough for you though.
other alternatives are.
1. A low profile focuser, ..... Somewhat problematic I found due to less support in the mechanism led to heavy cameras pitching and becoming off axis.
2. Cutting the tube and relocating the mirror further up the tube, by an amount that you can buy as an extender ( I think I ended up doing a 50 mm cut)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

I found an MPCC gave me some extra back focus on my 12 inch, it appears its not enough for you though.
other alternatives are.
1. A low profile focuser, ..... Somewhat problematic I found due to less support in the mechanism led to heavy cameras pitching and becoming off axis.
2. Cutting the tube and relocating the mirror further up the tube, by an amount that you can buy as an extender ( I think I ended up doing a 50 mm cut)
Old 01-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Peter, if your looking for more space between the corrector and sensor then a keller corrector might be it. http://www.astrosysteme.at/eng/correctors.html

Get your wallet out
Old 01-10-2011, 05:13 PM
gbeal

Before I shelled out for the big ticket Kellor, I'd be looking to "modify" the MPCC. Any competent machinist could gain you 5-6mm I reckon.
Gary
Old 01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
Before I shelled out for the big ticket Kellor, I'd be looking to "modify" the MPCC. Any competent machinist could gain you 5-6mm I reckon.
Gary
I was just looking at the OPT site and in paticular at their instructions for using the set of adapters Baader sell as an accessory for their MPCCs. The instructions indicated a tolerance of +/- 3 mm in that 55mm distance. I wonder if anyone has found the MPCC does in fact have a margin of error of that magnitude.
Peter
Old 01-10-2011, 05:44 PM
gbeal

I'm sure mine does, and the AT2FF does as well.
My TRF2008 on the other hand does not, it limes about 50mm, not the documented 55mm. One way to find out..........
Gary