Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Oscar in Bin (John)

Maxpoint, MaximDL and SkyX

I want to use Maxpoint as my hub to interface with my mount and already have SkyX. I have heard SkyX and Maxpoint don't play well together. Has anyone used this combination and if so would appreciate any hints on how to get it all connected. If SkyX is not a good option are there any suggestions for a better alternative particularly to drive the 'go to' using the Maxpoint modelling data.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:42 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

Sky X maxim etc

I have Sky X serious amateur addition and it won't operate the scope connection at the same time as using ASCOM/ASCOM dome MAxim scope control as there is a conflict with using the same driver /com port I think. Hence I use MaximDL ascom dome as a hub and use Cartes du Ciel (sky charts), which work very well together and can be downloaded free.
Graham
Old 08-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Tandum (Robin)

John, What mount does the sky control and if it's not a paramount, are you connecting to the mount through an X2 ascom connector? Also is it the sky pro?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:30 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Maximdl connects with max point and uses its internal stellarium (which is very comprehensive). Pinpoint is required to get max point to auto generate but its a small fee to pay for the benifits it gives!!!

on another point, maxim will control everything, focusing, dome, camera, guiding, filter wheels you name it.

The guiding algorithims are good too!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Oscar in Bin (John)

MaxPoint, MaximDL and SkyX

I currently connect to a Tak EM200 directly for my go to. Have not needed the X2 Ascom. My SKYX is the Pro version.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Your best option is to go maxim to maxpoint to ascom temma driver to mount. Then X2 ascom connect the sky to maxpoint. Maxpoint will hold the pointing model and the ascom temma driver has a park function to preserve it between sessions. You should also be able to pulse guide from maxim through the ascom chain to the mount or from PHD to the mount via maxpoint.

If you have a dome then it should go from maxpoint to poth then connect poth to both the ascom temma and the ascom dome driver.

I do not know how thesky and maxpoint get on, but you do need to use the ascom temma driver to get a park option. I have seen some comments around patches in the X2 connector source code to fix maxpoint problems but didn't take much notice as to what it fixed.

I find pointing on my tak is fine without any software aides so long as alignment is good. I guess your pointing isn't that hot? I normally gun barrell the mount at a star, sync to that star in the sky then take a pic and pinpoint it in maxim and resync to the plate solved location. After that it's pretty good both sides of the meridian.

Last edited by Tandum; 08-05-2012 at 05:54 PM.