Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Lightning shutter trigger-advice sought

Looking at one of these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180721967...ht_2195wt_1398

I asked about these before,I think there was one member in Brisbane who had bought one,and I am just wondering how the results worked out.

If anyone has any advice on purchasing a lightning trigger,I'd be interested to see what others recommend.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 PM
AstroFlyer (Arek)
Be gentle, I'm new..

I use Nero Trigger now > http://www.nerotrigger.com/shop/index.php
Bought it when he was starting out, so only paid half the price.
It works very well, very easy to use.
Also available on Ebay

Arek
Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Howdy,

I bought the one with the link you suggested, however, it's build quality is very poor and it fell to bits by the time I got it. The internals are cheap and hot melt glue was used to fix the components to the insides, but not very well. The circuit board also had some flaky tracks on it. Perhaps I got a lemon one. However I got it to work but had to spend over $20 in parts by putting it into a new case and adding a few better quality parts to it. You also have to take it apart to put in a new battery.

I bought a different one from Ebay and it looks like they still have some:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lightning...item4abe4be130

These are made well, come with a few extra accessories which are useful and work well day or night. The cost is a little more than your link but cheaper than the Nero (which does look good by the way but I don't have one) but well worth it and easy to change the battery. They also come from Australia.

Good luck and happy snapping.
Old 13-11-2012, 07:31 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
Howdy,

I bought the one with the link you suggested, however, it's build quality is very poor and it fell to bits by the time I got it. The internals are cheap and hot melt glue was used to fix the components to the insides, but not very well. The circuit board also had some flaky tracks on it. Perhaps I got a lemon one. However I got it to work but had to spend over $20 in parts by putting it into a new case and adding a few better quality parts to it. You also have to take it apart to put in a new battery.

These are made well, come with a few extra accessories which are useful and work well day or night. The cost is a little more than your link but cheaper than the Nero (which does look good by the way but I don't have one) but well worth it and easy to change the battery. They also come from Australia.

Thanks so much,thanks also 'astroflyer'

This one certainly looks better,I am happy to spend the extra couple of dollars on the one in your link.

There was a Brisbane member that had similar issues to yours on the one in link I listed,so I've held off a bit top see what other options are out there.

Really looking forward to play with some lightning shots this season-thanks for help
Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 AM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

How did you go with the trigger?

I recieved what I considered a bit of spam from the Nero trigger, I have no idea how they got my e-mail. Occasionally spam isn't so bad I guess.

I have the Patchmaster trigger, 2 of them infact and they both work a treat although it looks as if things have taken off for them a bit with a different build and higher price. Still it's a good little unit.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

I find that a long exposure works best. I use ND filters and run up to a 30 second exposure. Then repeat.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 AM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB80 View Post
I recieved what I considered a bit of spam from the Nero trigger, I have no idea how they got my e-mail. Occasionally spam isn't so bad I guess.
Bought using paypal?
I have noticed after a few purchases lately that I have also been getting spam. On Ebay your email is hidden, but with paypal your email address is exposed.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:01 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Thanks all,the trigger I bought arrived on Monday-very quick postage.I have not had too much of a chance to look at it,might be storms on Teusday.

Thanks for tip on ND filter use.Re-pay pal-yes I've had a couple of business that send a pay pal invoice,and pay in paypal,its a concern paypal show payers details-I generally try to avoid that payment method-but sometimes its unavoidable.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:37 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
Howdy,

i bought one of those as well - and it arrived in bits - namely the switch wasnt connected anymore and the plugs were a very awkward tight fit that was not normal - you have to use a lot of force to get it connected - so i am thinking about tossing it - its money wasted. unless he has improved things dont buy this one. that link to the nero looks good
Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Look forward to seeing some nice images soon then Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Bought using paypal?
I have noticed after a few purchases lately that I have also been getting spam. On Ebay your email is hidden, but with paypal your email address is exposed.

I got my Patchmasters via ebay so that couldn't be it.
The only thing I can think of is I have mentioned the triggers on a couple of forums and the guy was searching triggers and sent a few emails out. It could of even been via flickr as I have a few pics up there.
It's not a big deal I just know I had nevr registered to be sent any info or whatever.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:25 AM
leon

Sounds like a pretty nifty device, but are there any adapters to suit the Canon 5D

Leon
Old 02-12-2012, 06:38 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

I am thinking of getting the Nero device, I like the idea of adjusting the sensitivity. Currently the one I have, which is home made, has no adjustment for sensitivity. Sometimes the trigger fires off multiple times which is really annoying. Mostly due to intracloud lightning (lightning inside the parent cloud)

Looking at the ebay item, it looks very similar to mine (different circuit though), except I have another switch so the camera is "ready" all the time. Simply a switch that closes the contacts for the focusing (which is not used) this reduces the triggering time by about half so it appears to be more sensitive.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:47 AM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

5d Adaptor

Hi Leon. I the guy that makes the triggers here in Australia. The one Chris purchased. I didn't have adapters for all DSLR's as there are too many. However I can assist with where you can get them. The short answer is if you have a 5d and purchase a trigger I will give you a link on the Bay to where you get the adaptor you need. They cast about $7 and clip on to my supplied lead. You can then still use the trigger on any Canon that uses a 2.5 jack. You can keep adding adapters to suit as many cameras as you want, so the trigger can be very versatile. Thanks to the great support from IIS members I am currently out of stock. Waiting for parts to arrive. I will have them back online shortly. I did not want to use this site to promote my item and have been selling them for a long time. However I have been seeing lots of posts due to the storms in QLD. I thought as a member I should give some support.

Thier are lots of ways too shoot lightning, but triggers allow you to set and forget. I go inside and let the camera do the work. When we get big storms I have one camera setup with the trigger and another on long exposure. I started out with one of those cheap ones from Greece on the bay. Fell to bits and was poorly made. Ended up not so cheap. As an electronics Tech I decided to make my own. Then friends wanted one and the production started and have been building them ever since..

I hope I have not broken any forum rules with my post. My product makes very little profit and is more about helping others get great shots and have fun.

Hope this is some help Leon and others

Mardy
Old 02-12-2012, 11:08 AM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Ldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I am thinking of getting the Nero device, I like the idea of adjusting the sensitivity. Currently the one I have, which is home made, has no adjustment for sensitivity. Sometimes the trigger fires off multiple times which is really annoying. Mostly due to intracloud lightning (lightning inside the parent cloud)

Looking at the ebay item, it looks very similar to mine (different circuit though), except I have another switch so the camera is "ready" all the time. Simply a switch that closes the contacts for the focusing (which is not used) this reduces the triggering time by about half so it appears to be more sensitive.

Hi Andrew. Looks like we live near each other. Might bump into at the salt lakes at the next storm. I don't have troubles with false triggers on my units. What you say can be very true on some triggers dependent on the value of the LDR used (light defendant resistor). This is what does the sensing of the flash. I spent lots of time on this as I at first did not know they had different values. I was going to fit a trim pot to allow for adjustment but thought better. OK for some people but overall could cause too many setup problems for others. You would be surprised the amount of people that purchase them and have never used thier camera out of AUTO mode. My main idea was keep it simple and keep the price low, and include all that was needed to do the job. That included a hot shoe mount and a rain cover as it always rains during a storm. All for under $100 posted.

We should meet up at the next storm

Mardy
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
Hi Leon. I the guy that makes the triggers here in Australia. The one Chris purchased. I didn't have adapters for all DSLR's as there are too many. However I can assist with where you can get them. The short answer is if you have a 5d and purchase a trigger I will give you a link on the Bay to where you get the adaptor you need. They cast about $7 and clip on to my supplied lead. You can then still use the trigger on any Canon that uses a 2.5 jack. You can keep adding adapters to suit as many cameras as you want, so the trigger can be very versatile. Thanks to the great support from IIS members I am currently out of stock. Waiting for parts to arrive. I will have them back online shortly. I did not want to use this site to promote my item and have been selling them for a long time. However I have been seeing lots of posts due to the storms in QLD. I thought as a member I should give some support.

Thier are lots of ways too shoot lightning, but triggers allow you to set and forget. I go inside and let the camera do the work. When we get big storms I have one camera setup with the trigger and another on long exposure. I started out with one of those cheap ones from Greece on the bay. Fell to bits and was poorly made. Ended up not so cheap. As an electronics Tech I decided to make my own. Then friends wanted one and the production started and have been building them ever since..

I hope I have not broken any forum rules with my post. My product makes very little profit and is more about helping others get great shots and have fun.

Hope this is some help Leon and others

Mardy
Thanks for all your help Martin,this is a helpful post to photograhers here,I hope the mods do not consider it spaming and delete it-they seem rather heavy handed here .It surely would not take too much to figure you would make very little profit on such items,and its a genuinely helpful product to photographers here-now looking forward to Teusday's storm.

Leon-the cable you need costs about $7 I've got one on the way,I'll post the ebay link for it,if you need it
Old 02-12-2012, 12:43 PM
leon

Many thanks for your help. I will give it some thought or just stay with long exposure setting.
That would be a handy link Chris, thanks

Leon
Old 02-12-2012, 01:27 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Many thanks for your help. I will give it some thought or just stay with long exposure setting.
That would be a handy link Chris, thanks

Leon
Here is the link Leon

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230549864...ht_5184wt_1037

It compatible with 5D2,scroll down to see info.

I've been given a Canon 14 mm L series prime F 2.8,to use in the field,a fellow photographer enjoyed my in the field photography,and wants to see what I might produce with this lovely L lens.So will be good for some astro and weather aspects.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Visionoz (Bill)

I read somewhere on the internet about a "firmware" add-on to the Canon called Magic Lantern and that it is not necessary then to use a lightning trigger - all done to controlling by the software

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Seems to make the Canon go on like on steroids!

Cheers
Bill
Old 03-12-2012, 03:04 AM
Osirisra (Ken)
Dead God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionoz View Post
I read somewhere on the internet about a "firmware" add-on to the Canon called Magic Lantern and that it is not necessary then to use a lightning trigger - all done to controlling by the software

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Seems to make the Canon go on like on steroids!

Cheers
Bill

I have been using Magic Lantern for about a year now on both of my Cameras and absolutely love it. The intervalometer, HDR bracketing, Timelapse exposure shifting, focus stacking are just brilliant.

Not very many good lightning storms here so I haven't had a chance to use the lightning trigger function but a bit of a tinker with it seem to be good. Anyone else used it?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Osirisra (Ken)
Dead God

Actually had a bit of a storm today so I gave the Magic Lantern exposure change trigger a go. once ya get it 'dialed in' it works quite well, only got to see the last bit of the storm but managed to get a shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_3241ss.jpg)
181.4 KB56 views