Old 27-09-2011, 03:34 PM
avandonk
avandonk

New Astrophotography System

I have gone as far as I can with the Canon 5DH and Canon 300mm lens. I just seem to be doing ever bigger mosaics.

The system is not portable because of the frankenfridge.

I am in the process of odering a Paramount MX so I can image from inside where it is warm.

To go with this a
Officina Stellare "Veloce" RH 200 Riccardi-Honders Astrograph
This is a 200mm clear aperture F3 with a FL of 600mm. Yes F3!

Image train
FLI Atlas Focuser, FLI CFW-5-7 filter wheel and Camera FLI PL16803.

Any advice on filters and does the 65mm shutter come standard with the PL16803.

I am considering the Astronomic 50mm square filters. RGBL and Ha, O3, S.

At F3 should the NB filters be 6nm or 12nm? I suspect 12nm would be better and not suffer from vignetting. by attenuation.

Below are a few pictures. The last shows the FoV compared to the Canon 300mm system.

Any advice is very welcome as I am looking into the abyss of a money hole and a very steep learning curve to get out.

Bert

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (im01.jpg)
60.2 KB161 views
Click for full-size image (im02.jpg)
81.0 KB200 views
Click for full-size image (im03.jpg)
130.8 KB188 views
Click for full-size image (im04.jpg)
105.7 KB145 views
Click for full-size image (Combine4.jpg)
175.4 KB273 views
Old 27-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Mighty_oz (Marcus)

It will be a real pleasure to see what u can do with this new setup as the curent images are a marvel
Hope it all arrives real soon for u !
Old 27-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

Bert,
That will be the ultimate dream system.
Get ready for a big learning curve and try not to think about the $$$ leakage too much.
I can't help with the filters - never been faster than f/3.8 myself.
How are you planning to do flat fields?
James
Old 27-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

How terrible- cutting an expensive scope in half.

Good luck with the very expensive new set up. I hope the images live up to your expectations.
Old 27-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Paul Haese

You and I sometimes don't see eye to eye, but on this occassion you have made a great choice.

First up, the PMX is just another great mount by software bisque. You will really like this mount type once you get it rocking. It takes a couple of nights to get everything right but after that it is set. This to be wary of are PEC. I am using Software bisque precision PEC and that works pretty well. You will need to sort out which pointing system works, but I am told the SkyX with the Tpoint add on does not require something like pinpoint and Tpoint Automapper. However, I would just check up on this. It is really easy to use and once you have setup all the programs that interface with it you will sit and wonder as it collects points.

Next that scope is pretty damn nice. I have seen a lot of images from them (Tom Davis owns one I think) and well you know more about optics and that is why you bought that.

The FLI gear is great, although I have heard some odd things about the focusor. Some here in SA broke two of them. Apparently they just cannot hold heaps of weight but talk to Big Mike about this as he knows a lot about their gear. The camera will be superb with rapid cooling and hi speed down load. Certainly the top of the range in terms of cameras.

Filters. I use astronomiks but I reckon the Astrodon ones are better. You might want to check anti reflection as that can be a problem sometimes. However the Astrodons are most often chosen. Band pass is slight better than the astronomiks and these are reputed to be more par focal (if more can be acheived). Perhaps keep to the 65mm square filters too. Someone like Greg will be able to tell you if you can get away with the 50mm filters. I suspect not though. Also imaging from the city 5nm narrowband is better than 12nm. 12 lets in some stray light and that can mean gradients.

Overall a great system and no doubt one you will never need to replace. Yes lots of money but you have chosen well. Wish I could afford those optics.
Old 27-09-2011, 05:14 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_oz View Post
It will be a real pleasure to see what u can do with this new setup as the curent images are a marvel
Hope it all arrives real soon for u !
I am sure I can get something decent but mastering will take time. Weather will be massively affected by such a large purchase!

Bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
Bert,
That will be the ultimate dream system.
Get ready for a big learning curve and try not to think about the $$$ leakage too much.
I can't help with the filters - never been faster than f/3.8 myself.
How are you planning to do flat fields?
James
I will need to get one of those light box thingies. Bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
How terrible- cutting an expensive scope in half.

Good luck with the very expensive new set up. I hope the images live up to your expectations.
Only perseverance and hard work will get me there. Possession does not give you magical abilities. Bert
Old 27-09-2011, 05:23 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
You and I sometimes don't see eye to eye, but on this occassion you have made a great choice.

First up, the PMX is just another great mount by software bisque. You will really like this mount type once you get it rocking. It takes a couple of nights to get everything right but after that it is set. This to be wary of are PEC. I am using Software bisque precision PEC and that works pretty well. You will need to sort out which pointing system works, but I am told the SkyX with the Tpoint add on does not require something like pinpoint and Tpoint Automapper. However, I would just check up on this. It is really easy to use and once you have setup all the programs that interface with it you will sit and wonder as it collects points.

Next that scope is pretty damn nice. I have seen a lot of images from them (Tom Davis owns one I think) and well you know more about optics and that is why you bought that.

The FLI gear is great, although I have heard some odd things about the focusor. Some here in SA broke two of them. Apparently they just cannot hold heaps of weight but talk to Big Mike about this as he knows a lot about their gear. The camera will be superb with rapid cooling and hi speed down load. Certainly the top of the range in terms of cameras.

Filters. I use astronomiks but I reckon the Astrodon ones are better. You might want to check anti reflection as that can be a problem sometimes. However the Astrodons are most often chosen. Band pass is slight better than the astronomiks and these are reputed to be more par focal (if more can be acheived). Perhaps keep to the 65mm square filters too. Someone like Greg will be able to tell you if you can get away with the 50mm filters. I suspect not though. Also imaging from the city 5nm narrowband is better than 12nm. 12 lets in some stray light and that can mean gradients.

Overall a great system and no doubt one you will never need to replace. Yes lots of money but you have chosen well. Wish I could afford those optics.
Paul where I came from in CSIRO you were expected to give your opinion no matter how wrong or correct. Sitting around agreeing with each other does not lead anywhere. I am sorry if I seem to be quick to argue but that is what I was taught. It is not personal we were encouraged to even doubt the team leaders opinion. I am afraid it is a bad habit I cannot shake.

Thanks for your input. I have spent a lot of thought on this major move. It was Mike Sidonio who tipped me over the edge to go completely to the dark side.

This new system should take quite some time to fully master.
Thanks again for your input for the PMX. I am sure I will be bothering you to get it working correctly.

Bert
Old 27-09-2011, 05:29 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

What a dream rig. Can't wait to see the pics you'll be taking with that one.
Old 27-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

That is one huge big money hole, mind you it will produce incredible results. The new FL will be interesting as detail will go through the roof.
Old 27-09-2011, 06:05 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Here is an image taken with this astrograph I dug up on flickr 1.5MB

http://d1355990.i49.quadrahosting.co..._09/cygnus.jpg

there is a smaller version on the site here

http://www.astronomyalive.com.au/off...strograph.html

Bert
Old 27-09-2011, 07:02 PM
cventer

Nice setup indeed.

Can't find much info or reviews on the scope but it looks the very interesting.

Cfz on this would be tiny so automated focusing between filters is likely to be needed.

You buying scope here or from OS ?
Old 27-09-2011, 07:22 PM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post

The fli focuser you are talking about is the PDF, not the atlas. I know of this instance. The pdf did have some issues with weight which fli did address. The atlas has been designed with the experience of the issues with the pdf in mind.

Bert: I cant wait to see what you can accomplish with the new system. Congrats.

Brett
Old 27-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Paul Haese

Hi Brett, I think it was an atlas that fell over. Like I said, Big Mike would have a better, but I think it was an Atlas that got killed, because I remember questioning this at the time. It did seem odd to me.
Old 28-09-2011, 07:15 AM
avandonk
avandonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cventer View Post

You buying scope here or from OS ?
I am getting the scope from the local dealer

Here
http://www.astronomyalive.com.au/

The FLI gear and PMX from Bintel as they are now the authorised dealer for both companies.

Cfz on this would be tiny so automated focusing between filters is likely to be needed.

I went for the FLI Atlas focuser for this reason Chris as it will focus automatically. Once any systematic differences with filters are established the Atlas focuser setting can simply be changed with filter changes.

Even though the scope holds focus well as it has very low thermal expansion I will control the whole OTA's temperature thermostatically if there is any focus change as Melbourne's ambient can drop as much as 20C over a clear night.

Only real world use would give me an idea of what protocol to follow.

This may take some time!

Bert
Old 28-09-2011, 01:47 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Extremely excited for you Bert .. as I said this is like a super FSQ on steroids.. ah sigh.. should I ever come into some money . Exciting times ahead mate...I think there will be a few watching and waiting to see your results

Mike
Old 28-09-2011, 01:52 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
I have spent a lot of thought on this major move. It was Mike Sidonio who tipped me over the edge to go completely to the dark side.
T'was easy for her.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (darthvader-.jpg)
66.1 KB111 views
Old 28-09-2011, 02:10 PM
frolinmod

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
I am sure I will be bothering you to get it working correctly.
If you need help setting up a Paramount MX, please do yourself a favor and get it from someone with extensive TheSkyX and Tpoint Add On experience, not from someone who is still running TheSky6.
Old 28-09-2011, 02:15 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Extremely excited for you Bert .. as I said this is like a super FSQ on steroids.. ah sigh.. should I ever come into some money . Exciting times ahead mate...I think there will be a few watching and waiting to see your results

Mike
Mike, Cris Ellis from Astronomy Alive has just informed me that a new version with a carbon fibre tube is now the better version. He can supply this astrograph with adapter and FLI Atlas focuser already factory fitted.
I have also ordered a fancy case to take it to dark sky sites.

The field is 42mm diameter unvignetted but is still sharp after this. The FLI 16803 would vignette slightly at the corners.

I will be patient and not get too excited as I have a lot of work ahead to get up to any sort of competence.

Bert
Old 28-09-2011, 02:38 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Does anyone want to buy a Canon 5DH with only 600,000+ actuations of the shutter?

Just joking it is not for sale. I will retire her into the paddock.

Bert
Old 28-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I dont see any problems, other than squaring-on of the camera and the need to be *very* exacting with the focus.

Though I would have some doubts about going down a 600mm F3 light path...

I see it as a one trick pony....albeit a fast one....that will deliver
some lovely wide vistas... but the reality is the vast majority of objects subtend tiny fields of view.

(I have put my money where my mouth is and have commissioned a custom Ceravolo focal extented for my RCOS taking it to F12'ish )

Still, whatever floats your boat. Good luck with it.

Last edited by Peter Ward; 28-09-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo