Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2019, 09:56 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Rasa 8

I know we had an earlier thread but is there anyone here using one of these as I am looking for members impressions on this scope particularly if you have the appropriate filters and the little filter holder.
I know that Dillon did a YouTube vid which I have watched.
Alex
Old 08-07-2019, 06:30 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I think h0ughy is using one
Old 08-07-2019, 08:55 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have been keen to see some results and reviews too, while it is close to the focal length of my little 72mm refractor with reducer, F2!

I thought at the time they came out that they seemed to be practically designed with my OSC in mind.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:12 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I understand Bintel are expecting a shipment end of this month... anyone thinking of getting one?
alex
Old 11-07-2019, 01:36 PM
casstony

The RASA 8 is attractive. The Sharpstar 150mm f/2.8 is another interesting option, especially as there is no limit on the size of the camera body and it can cover full frame chips:
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...rbon-Tube.html

Astrobin pics: https://www.astrobin.com/gear/84822/...rpstar-150f28/

It also is much lighter in weight than the RASA.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Looks nice but I do like the RASA 8...
What I would like is my 12 f5 changed to something under 3 and a curved sensor...that would be perfect assuming the mirror worked...no secondary of course...I actually emailed zwo and told them to look into curved sensors ( and they replied) saying they had no plans but you never know the penny could drop.
The way I figure it with a curved sensor you would not have a coma to worry about correcting...Meade had a film 12 inch and the film was set on a curved seat...and I think back then it was the ducks guts.
The weight I won't let beat me if I can set it up in an observatory,,,but the price of the filters and the drawer and the motor gets the price way up there...I might forget about it and just go 25600 ISO from now on
Or maybe just get both my current scopes working
The other thing is when I get ASIAIR working that will take the pressure off to a degree.
It's just that I can't stop thinking about the RASA.
Maybe I have missed them but I don't think David has put up any photos using his big RASA...
AND sometimes I think hang it just go with a small red cat on a star adventurer as I think the results to effort with wide fields is probably for me the smart way to go...narrow band takes so long and these days one does not seem to get enough good weather.
Alex